out of town for the weekend
Irvine, CA (PRWEB) March 31, 2009
As the popularity of Social Networking sites like Facebook, MySpace and Twitter continue to grow, so does the risk posed by identity theft, online fraud and good old fashion burglary. Most users list a great deal of personal information on their pages, including their full name, home address, E-mail, and phone numbers. They also tend to give information about their schedule as well. For example, statements like "going to the movies tonight" or "out of town for the weekend" may seem innocent enough, but to a burglar, this information is invaluable. From these type of statements, a thief can determine when a potential victim will be gone and for how long, placing their loved ones and property at risk.
Identity thieves can use photo and video sharing sites like Flickr and YouTube to get even more information about people, their family and friends, where they live, hobbies and other interests. Remember, the things posted on a social networking site can say more about an individual than we realize. ProtectMyID.com offers the following tips to keep in mind to help keep people safe:
- Never give out critical information like Social Security or driver's license numbers.
- Don't give out username & password to anyone.
- Create unique user names & passwords for each profile.
- Avoid listing date of birth, hometown, home address, high school or college graduating class and primary E-mail address.
- Avoid using personal information on profiles that might provide clues to password verification. This could further expose individuals to hackers and phishing expeditions.
- Only invite trustworthy people to the network. Ignore invitations from strangers and even friends of friends.
Social networking sites are a great source of entertainment, and when used safely, make excellent communication tools. But even if one takes all the necessary precautions, there is still no way to completely protect all personal information.
ProtectMyID.com is a leading, full-service provider of identity theft detection, protection and fraud resolution. We are passionate about helping our customers defend against identity theft and shielding them from the hassles and financial loss that can accompany this crime. Our U.S.-based team, which includes experienced Identity Theft Resolution Professionals, is dedicated to providing easy-to-use and convenient products as well as personal service that our customers can rely on.
ProtectMyID.com is part of a family of online sites belonging to ConsumerInfo.com, Inc., an Experian company. ConsumerInfo.com, Inc. was founded in 1995 to give consumers quick, easy, and inexpensive access to their credit histories. It is now the leading provider of online consumer identity theft protection, credit monitoring, credit scores and credit reports to millions of U.S. consumers.