The show also offers exposure to extracurricular opportunities and college choices that families will want to know about.
Past News ReleasesRSS
Boston, MA (PRWEB) April 8, 2009
As high school seniors receive their college letters of acceptance in the next few weeks, Countdown to College Radio, http://www.CountdownToCollegeRadio.com, is answering students' questions to help them choose the college that's right for them.
"Anxious high school seniors are finally hearing from colleges about whether they've been admitted, denied, or put on the waiting list," says Beth Pickett, producer and host of Countdown to College Radio. "Those who've been accepted are trying to decipher cryptic financial aid award letters to determine just how much college will cost and to decide among their choices." Now, families can get answers to their questions by tuning in to Countdown to College Radio.
Countdown to College Radio is a weekly interview-based show launched in May of 2008 on WNSH AM-1570. Pickett interviews deans of admission, college professors, high-school counselors, and others about what students should do if they are waitlisted, how to make a campus visit, and topics related to academic preparation for college, the admissions process, extracurricular opportunities, and choosing the right school.
The radio show is free to students and their families. Listeners can access interview archives online at CountdownToCollegeRadio.com to listen on the computer or to download to an MP3 player. They can also sign up for the show's free weekly newsletter to see what's new in the archives and what's coming up on the show.
"Understanding the options and how the process works reduces stress and gives families the information they need to make informed decisions," says Pickett, a Stanford University graduate with a certificate in college counseling from UCLA. "The show also offers exposure to extracurricular opportunities and college choices that families will want to know about."
Past guests on the show have included:
- Deans of admission from Olin, Rensselaer, Carleton, Whitman, Bowdoin, Reed, and Harvey Mudd colleges, talking about their schools
- Jennifer Desjarlais, Dean of Admission at Wellesley College, on the benefits of attending an all-women's school
- Richard Rusczyk of The Art of Problem Solving, on extracurricular math competitions
- Dr. Carol Dweck, professor of psychology at Stanford, on her groundbreaking work on mindset and success
- Gail Grand of Enrichment Alley, on the importance of extracurricular activities for both career exploration and college admissions
- Glenn Milewski, Executive Director of the PSAT/NMSQT at the College Board, on the format and scoring of the PSAT, and its role as a precursor to the SAT
- Kavin Buck of UCLA and Ed Schoenberg of The Otis College of Art and Design, on performing and visual arts admissions
Countdown to College Radio does not accept payment from either interviewees or institutions. Pickett says this is important so that the information remain impartial. To see a listing of the archived shows, please visit CountdownToCollegeRadio.com.
About Countdown to College Radio
Countdown to College Radio is a weekly one-hour live show dedicated to helping college-bound high school students and their families understand the process of getting ready for - and getting into - college. Show host Beth Pickett interviews the experts on the college application process, high school coursework, summer opportunities, extracurricular activities, application essays, standardized testing, financial aid, and college options.
Producer and Host
Countdown to College Radio
Beth (at) CountdownToCollegeRadio.com