Chicago, Illinois (PRWEB) April 17, 2009
Being environmentally responsible does not mean giving up business trips or vacations. Travelers can still be eco-friendly by following these tips offered by ground transportation provider GO Airport Express:
1. Use the bathroom at the airport vs. on the plane. The fuel used for every flush on the plane could run an average car for six miles. Avoid cramped airplane bathrooms and "go" before you go.
2. Pack lighter. Heavier planes use more fuel. Keep luggage light and wash clothes at your destination so you can wear them again.
3. Re-use sheets and towels at hotels. This saves thousands of gallons of water and reduces the amount of detergent being dumped into waterways.
4. For every mile you travel, you use a certain amount of energy. To make up for it, donate it back to an environmental organization. Click here (sustainabletravelinternational.org) to calculate your environmental impact while travelling.
5. Use the recycle bins at the airport.
6. Take your own empty water or coffee container and fill up once you get past security.
7. Stay at a Green Seal™ Certified hotel. Hotels earning this designation have met a
rigorous set of environmental standard to reduce impact on the environment and human health.
8. Eat locally and avoid fast food chains and delivery services. Eating food native to the area is both healthier and better for the environment.
9. When you do go out, carry your own plastic bags or usable "doggie bag" for leftovers.
10. Take a shared ride vehicle such as GO Airport Express to and from the airports. With six people on board, a van uses only 30 percent of the fuel that six cars would use and creates 54 percent fewer carbon emissions.
"GO Airport Express makes sense both economically and environmentally. And because our vans provide door-to-door service, passengers don not have to give up convenience," says John McCarthy, president, GO Airport Express.
Founded in 1853 as the Parmelee Transportation Company, GO Airport Express currently transports more than one million passengers annually to and from Chicago's O'Hare and Midway Airports. Its door-to-door services are offered to and from downtown Chicago, as well as most Chicago neighborhoods and its surrounding suburbs. It is also a founding member for GO Airport Shuttle, offering transportation from more than 100 airports worldwide. For more information or to book transportation online visit http://www.airportexpress.com.
Hodge Schindler Integrated Communications
dkflanigan @ hodgeschindler.com