Mississauga, Ontario (PRWEB) April 25, 2009
Late April typically means two things in Canada: playoff hockey and last-minute tax preparation before the April 30 filing deadline.
Intuit can't do much about your favorite hockey team, but the maker of QuickTax tax software products has tallied online tax filings to determine which Canadian cities score high in procrastination and filing their taxes.
Toronto keeps top spot this year, but the list continues to be heavily weighted with Western contenders. Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton Winnipeg, Surrey and Victoria all made the top 10. Moving east, Ottawa leapt over Mississauga to take fifth overall. Atlantic Canadian cities didn't make the list - they appear to be more diligent about filing early.
The following list is based on the number of tax returns electronically filed via QuickTax Online between April 29-30, 2008:
1. Toronto - Hogtown hangs on to top spot.
2. Calgary - Cowtown is a contender.
3. Vancouver - The 2010 city wraps up a bronze.
4. Edmonton - Two Alberta cities in the top 10!
5. Ottawa - Leaps over Mississauga to take fifth overall.
6. Mississauga - Hazel's city files earlier and drops a spot.
7. Winnipeg - Tax time at Portage and Main.
8. Montreal - La Belle Province et les impôts.
9. Surrey - This booming city holding strong at number nine!
10. Victoria - Lotusland cracks the top 10.
Some Last-Minute Tax Tips:
- File your taxes, even if you don't owe. Filing determines your eligibility for government programs such as the Canada Child Tax Benefit, a GST/HST credit or any new tax rebates.
- Don't forget capital losses. They can be carried back to recover tax paid on capital gains in any of the three previous years, such as your 2005, 2006 or 2007 taxes.
- Don't forget your charitable contributions. If you donated to any of the 80,000 charities associated with CanadaHelps.org, you can use the Automated Tax Return feature in QuickTax to automatically add your receipts to your return.
- Do it online! Prepare and file your taxes online with QuickTax Online.
- Stressed out? Get some peace of mind with Audit Defence. This add-on option provides full-service representation by a tax specialist, so you never have to meet with the CRA alone.
- Check to see whether you qualify to use the Free or Student editions of QuickTax Online.
Get more tips online:
About Intuit Canada
Intuit Canada ULC is a leading provider of business, financial and tax management solutions for small- and mid-sized businesses, consumers and accounting professionals. Its flagship products and services, including Quicken®, QuickBooks®, QuickBooks® Enterprise Solutions, SuccèsPME, QuickTax, and ImpôtRapideMC, simplify personal finance, business accounting, and tax preparation and filing.
Additional offerings include ProFile®, a professional tax preparation software suite, the QuickBooks ProAdvisor Program and the Intuit Developer Network for professional users and developers. All are provided by Intuit Canada or through its partners.
Intuit Canada has employees located in Edmonton, Calgary, Mississauga, Montreal and Ottawa. Intuit Canada is an affiliate of Intuit Inc., which is listed on the Nasdaq stock market under the symbol INTU. More information can be found at http://www.intuit.ca.
QuickTax is the registered mark of LexisNexis Canada Inc., used by Intuit Canada under license.
For more information or to arrange an interview, please contact:
416-640-5525 Ext. 245