Being environmentally mindful is something Bupa Latin America and the Caribbean takes quite seriously. We are dedicated to the health and wellbeing of our customers, and that commitment extends to our environment
Miami, FL (PRWEB) April 21, 2009 - Eighty-seven thousand five hundred and sixty-one -
that's the average number of miles employees of Bupa Latin America and the Caribbean collectively commute in a month to and from work. Every month, Bupa commuters produce nearly 35 tons of carbon from their morning and afternoon drive alone. To commemorate Earth Day and raise awareness of the impact that cars make on the environment, Bupa Latin America and the Caribbean has pledged to donate funds to offset the carbon footprint produced by each of their 423 employees for the month of April to CarbonFund.org.
Bupa Latin America and Caribbean is dedicated year-round to reducing the number of vehicles on the road by encouraging their employees to participate in their carpooling program. Over 70 staff members partake in the program and are individually rewarded with a $50 gas card every month.
"Being environmentally mindful is something Bupa Latin America and the Caribbean takes quite seriously. We are dedicated to the health and wellbeing of our customers, and that commitment extends to our environment," said Luis Jimenez, Marketing Manager. "We are always exploring ways to further our green initiatives and encourage our employees to embrace these efforts in the office and at home."
Funds donated by Bupa Latin America and the Caribbean to CarbonFund.org will go directly toward reforestation and forest preservation carbon offset projects across the globe. Forest preservation also creates jobs, maintains and expands wildlife habitats, protects biodiversity, and improves local environmental quality.
Other eco-conscious practices Bupa Latin America and the Caribbean employs in their Miami office include:
- Providing water bottles and mugs to all employees to discourage the use of single-use plastic and Styrofoam cups, eliminating excess waste.
- Utilizing a chain-of-custody (COC) and Eco Green certified printer, Executive Printers of Florida, certified through the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC™), the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI ®), and the Programme for Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC™). A certified COC label assures consumers that the forestry practices employed to produce the product are environmentally responsible, socially beneficial and economically viable.
- Using a paperless presentation system by providing reports and supplements via USB drives to reduce the amount of wasted paper and printing while strongly encouraging electronic filing and documentation for other office functions.
- Supplying "Green Tips" through their internal Weekly Update sent to all Bupa Latin America and the Caribbean employees, providing ways for them to be environmentally conscious in the office and at home.
- Equipping the office with recycling receptacles in multiple locations so paper, aluminum and plastic containers used by employees can be recycled.
Bupa was founded in 1947 as a provident association and prides itself in not having shareholders, and operating solely for the benefit of its customers. This status allows them to reinvest surpluses and profits into better quality and scope of services for its customers, in line with their founding principle "to prevent, relieve and cure sickness and ill health."
Over recent years, Bupa has evolved both geographically and through a variety of products that enable them to offer more services to more people. Bupa now operates health insurance businesses in the United Kingdom, Spain, Australia, Hong Kong, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, India, and in Latin America and the Caribbean, serving 33 million individuals in 192 countries around the world. For more information, visit http://www.bupalatinamerica.com.
Carbonfund.org is leading the fight against global warming, making it easy and affordable for any individual, business or organization to eliminate their climate impact and hastening the transformation to a clean energy future. Carbonfund.org achieves its goals through climate change education, carbon offsets and reductions, and public outreach.
Carbonfund.org supports renewable energy, energy efficiency and reforestation projects globally that reduce carbon dioxide emissions and the threat of climate change. Carbonfund.org is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization. For more information, please visit CarbonFund.org.
# # #