Seattle, Wash. (PRWEB) April 22, 2009
Earth Class Mail provides "green" benefits to the $1 trillion global postal industry by digitizing postal mail early in the delivery process and eliminating the need for the physical delivery of more than 75% of its customers' mail.
Core news facts
- Earth Class Mail provides "green" benefits to the $1 trillion global postal industry by digitizing postal mail early in the delivery process and eliminating the need for the physical delivery of more than 75% of its customers' mail.
- 450 billion pieces of mail are delivered worldwide annually.
- The postal industry is one of the largest single energy users in modern countries and is typically largest operator of buildings and transportation fleets.
- Over the last three years, Earth Class Mail has recycled more than 75% of postal mail received by their customers, versus the average 20%-30% that consumers recycle themselves.
- Earth Class Mail has begun licensing its technology to national postal operators; the first, Swiss Post, will be launching online postal mail in six European countries later this spring.
- Diverting 75% of mail from delivery after the "first mile" will have a substantial impact. Typically less than 20% of the energy required to move an envelope from sender to recipient is consumed in the first mile, meaning ECM can eliminate the cost and energy consumption of physical delivery by scanning the contents of the mail and delivering it digitally, giving people the option to recycle it before it's delivered to their door.
Graphic: How much U.S. mail would not need to be delivered with the use of Earth Class Mail: http://www.earthclassmail.com/images/ECM-undelivered-mail.jpg
Quick Guide to Reducing Unwanted Mail: http://www.earthclassmail.com/Guide_to_Reducing_Unwanted_Mail_ECM.pdf
White paper about how Earth Class Mail aims to improve the postal industry: http://www.earthclassmail.com/national-post/docs/USO_wp.pdf
Relevant coverage to date
- American Interest, "Going Postal": http://www.the-american-interest.com/article.cfm?piece=614
- Forbes.com, "Greening Snail Mail": http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/20/earth-class-mail-technology-ecotech09-mail.html
- Los Angeles Times, "Online Services Deliver Mail Without the Paper": http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-mail12-2009mar12,0,4499931.story
About Earth Class Mail
Earth Class Mail™ offers and licenses a service that allows customers to access and manage their postal mail online, 24x7, with benefits ranging from mobility and convenience or a business presence at a fraction of the cost of an executive suite to cost-savings and productivity. Earth Class Mail's system digitizes envelopes at midstream of the delivery process, presenting two-sided color images of incoming envelopes to customers via email and in customers' secure online accounts. Then, for each new mail item, customers can use Earth Class Mail's patent-pending Recipient Choice™ technology to have the item opened and the contents confidentially scanned for secure online viewing, or to have it shredded, archived, delivered to the right desk, transferred to another person without need of interoffice mail systems, or forward-shipped to another location without delay. For enterprises and government agencies, Earth Class Mail digitizes paper mail at its entry point, injecting it directly into an organization's electronic workflow and saving 75% of typical document lifecycle costs. The company is headquartered in Seattle.
Client contact: David Widner
Web site http://www.earthclassmail.com
Agency contact: Katie Baynes
IM address: KatieBaynes