At KOMPAN, we believe playground equipment should be as good for kids as the environment they play in. Supporting Tiki Recreation and the Wildlife Conservation Society's efforts to celebrate Earth Month at the Bronx Zoo shows how we can grow sustainable kids through sustainable play.
Tacoma, WA (PRWEB) April 23, 2009
KOMPAN, Inc. KOMPAN and Tiki Recreation have teamed up with THE WILDLIFE CONSERVATION SOCIETY'S BRONX ZOO to teach kids about sustainable play during Earth Month.
To help demonstrate KOMPAN's sustainable approach to play for the expected 150,000 zoo visitors, Tiki Recreation installed a complete Eco-Friendly Playground using KOMPAN STORYMAKERS and EDGE products. Utilizing recycled, non-toxic and recyclable materials, KOMPAN playground equipment reflects how you can build exciting, relevant playground equipment that also makes a strong environmental statement.
Tom Grover, President of KOMPAN, Inc., stated, "At KOMPAN, we believe playground equipment should be as good for kids as the environment they play in. Supporting Tiki Recreation and the Wildlife Conservation Society's efforts to celebrate Earth Month at the Bronx Zoo shows how we can grow sustainable kids through sustainable play."
The Bronx Zoo will also host an 18 day Earth Expo during the month, showcasing companies and organizations that offer green products, services and information to help consumers adopt greener practices. The playground has been designed to further the Zoo's educational message; after children have "met" the Zoo's amazing animal ambassadors, they can bounce on a gorilla spring toy, slide down a giraffe slide, or take a break on a crocodile bench.
The Earth Month Events will feature the Run for the Wild, a 5K fun run whose participants include former NFL running back Tiki Barber who stated, "As a parent and a businessman, I'm proud to support the Wildlife Conservation Society's efforts. My children love the Bronx Zoo, and having a Tiki Recreation playground here for Earth Month allows us to reach our target audience: engaged parents who want to provide meaningful, rewarding experiences for their children. Being able to participate in the Run for the Wild is an added bonus, and I'm looking forward to it."
"We are thrilled that Tiki Barber has joined WCS as an active partner both at our Earth Month/Earth Expo activities and by lending his support to promote our first annual WCS Run for the Wild event," said John Calvelli, WCS Executive Vice President for Public Affairs. "It is our hope that the WCS Run for the Wild will engage and inspire new audiences to learn about the Wildlife Conservation Society's global efforts to conserve and protect wildlife and wild places."
WCS Run for the Wild Schedule:
7:00 AM Pre-Run Area Opens (Run Day Registration, plus t-shirt pick-up, pledge tent opens)
8:30 AM Run warm-up for all participants with YogaWorks
9:00 AM Run/Walk starts
10 AM - 12 PM Meet former football running back Tiki Barber
11 AM - 4 PM Post-Run Earth Month Activities. Activity options include: eco-crafts for kids, Wildlife Theater performances, storytelling, recycled animal art eco-sculptures, visits to the zoo's Earth Expo, a display of Earth-friendly green products, services, and technology, and the Tiki Recreation's Eco-friendly Playground. General admission to the zoo is included in registration.
KOMPAN, Inc. is a world leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of sustainable commercial playgrounds and multi-sport athletic equipment. KOMPAN specializes in designing unique, age-appropriate, and high quality recreational products that combine the highest environmental standards and exceptional play value. KOMPAN offers unique and challenging products for every stage of development. For more information about KOMPAN, our products and our environmental stance, please visit our website at http://www.kompan.com.
About TIKI RECREATION
Tiki Recreation was founded by Tiki Barber, a former NFL player and fitness expert. Tiki Recreation is committed to improving communities and promoting fitness in children by providing opportunities for meaningful and rewarding play. Tiki Recreation uses positive, inspirational messages to encourage children to achieve their dreams and is committed to helping both children and their parents live healthier, more active lifestyles. For more information about Tiki Recreation, please visit http://www.tikirecreation.com.
THE WILDLIFE CONSERVATION SOCIETY'S BRONX ZOO saves wildlife and wild places worldwide. They do so through science, global conservation, education and the management of the world's largest system of urban wildlife parks, led by the flagship Bronx Zoo. Together these activities change attitudes towards nature and help people imagine wildlife and humans living in harmony. WCS is committed to this mission because it is essential to the integrity of life on Earth. Provided are some interesting facts to know about the Bronx Zoo:
- The Bronx Zoo is headquarters for the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS,) which manages the largest system of urban wildlife parks in the world.
- WCS has a global reach with more than 500 conservation field projects in 65 nations.
- The Bronx Zoo is the largest urban zoo in the United States on 265 acres of wooded parkland.
- There are more than 600 different species of animals at the Bronx Zoo.
- The UN "Year of the Gorilla" is particularly important to WCS since the Bronx Zoo has one of the largest breeding populations of Western lowland gorillas in North America. WCS has also been a leader in gorilla conservation for five decades and studies all four species in nature
- WCS recycles everything at the Bronx Zoo from paper/cardboard, glass/plastics, cooking oil, and even animal poop!
- The Bronx Zoo produces its own power - it runs on cogeneration.
- The new Madagascar! exhibit is actually a 1903 landmark building that has been completely restored as a green building, from its roof design to the complex water/heating system in the basement.
- The zoo's Eco-Restrooms at the Bronx River Parkway entrance are eco-friendly - they are composting toilets - and even the sink waste water helps to keep our grey water gardens fed.
- Visit http://www.wcs.org to learn more about WCS's global efforts.
For more information, images and press material, visit http://www.KOMPAN.com.
(866) 943-6254 - fax