Farmington Hills, MI (PRWEB) April 28, 2009
Feinberg Consulting-Comprehensive Elder Care Management Division offers tips for "Living Today for a Better Tomorrow," this year's theme of May's Older Americans Month as designated by U.S. Department of Human Services Administration on Aging.
"Older Americans Month is an appropriate time to evaluate the needs of older adults to improve their quality of life," said Pam Feinberg-Rivkin, president of Feinberg Consulting in Farmington Hills. "There are simple but often overlooked signs of possible problems with an elderly family member."
- Use family celebrations like Mother's Day as an opportunity to pay attention to changes
- Observe the physical and mental differences including changes in weight, short-term memory, speech, mobility and driving safety
- Watch for mood swings, depression and managing medications improperly
- Look for the ability to handle activities of daily living including personal hygiene, eating and getting in and out of a chair
"It's really difficult and challenging to learn their needs, preferences and finances," said Feinberg-Rivkin. "So, it's important to get involved, increase support and possibly seek professional help to give them more control over their own lives."
- Focus on prevention to avoid the risks of chronic disease, disability and injury
- Improve health habits such as exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy diet
- Express your concern and offer support to keep their independence
- Evaluate and suggest improvement to their living environment for ease of use
- Propose assistance in going out socially or visiting medical providers
- Utilize a professional to discuss confidential affairs such as money with a financial or legal advisor
- Obtain the tools they need to make informed decisions about existing health and long-term care options and to avoid placement in nursing homes and remain at home as long as possible
"Helping older adults live better today provides for an improved future," added Feinberg-Rivkin. "Families must work together to make beneficial decisions, show respect and preserve the dignity of elder relatives as getting old is not easy."
Feinberg Consulting is located at 29226 Orchard Lake Road, Suite 120, Farmington Hills. The firm provides case management and consulting services for catastrophic injuries, life planning, chronic disease management, developmental disabilities and elder care management in southeastern Michigan and Florida. The Comprehensive Elder Care Management Division benefits older adults who want to live independently in a safe environment, without sacrificing their dignity, respect or quality of life. For further information call (248) 538-5425 or visit http://www.FeinbergConsulting.com
# # #