Where to check for SFX archives
Berlin, Germany (PRWEB) May 2, 2009
win.rar GmbH and RARLAB are proud to announce the first beta version of the new WinRAR 3.90.
Highlights of the 3.90 (beta 1) release are:
The new version of WinRAR makes this leading compression software ready for Windows x64. For all Windows x64 users it is strongly recommended to use 64 bit WinRAR version. It provides higher performance and better shell integration than the 32 bit version. Following closely the latest hardware developments, WinRAR performance in Windows Vista has been improved for systems with quad (or more) core CPUs to speed up considerably the compression time.
Furthermore the usability of the graphic interface has been improved and new commands for the command line mode have been added. For example the new command line switch -ai forces RAR to ignore file attributes stored in archive when extracting, so that the extracted files will have attributes assigned by the operating system to a newly created file by default. Also a new command line switch -r- disables the recursion completely, so 'rar a -r- arc dirname' command will add only the empty dirname folder and ignore its contents.
Other highlights in the new 3.90 (beta 1) include:
- Remove duplicate folders from extraction path" option in "Settings/Compression" dialog is replaced by more universal "Remove redundant folders from extraction path" option.
- Changes in "Extraction path and options" dialog like "New Folder" button, which creates a new subfolder in the folders tree; F2 key which renames a selected folder, F5 updates the tree content, and Del key removes a selected folder.
- User can enable "Show seconds" option in "Settings/File list" dialog if she/he wishes to see seconds in file dates in file list in the WinRAR shell.
- "Where to check for SFX archives" options group in "Settings/Integration/Context menus items" dialog lets the user control processing of SFX archives in context menu.
- If you sort files by name in the file list in WinRAR shell, WinRAR will use the new logical file name sorting, same as in Windows Explorer, considering digits in file names by their numerical value.
- Ctrl+W key combination can be used to close the main WinRAR window also as WinRAR viewer windows. "View as Windows text" shortcut in WinRAR viewer changed from Ctrl+W to Ctrl+I.
Also here are the bugs that have been fixed in the 3.90 (beta 1) version:
- WinRAR context menu did not work properly in Windows 7 beta if icons in context menus were enabled and user clicked a file inside of Windows 7 Library folder;
- previous WinRAR versions failed to rename files having 5 or more continuous spaces in the name. WinRAR shell does not display such spaces for safety reasons, because they can hide an actual file extension. But this security measure prevented the rename command to work properly.
These are just some of the features that have been added or improved. More information on all of the 14 improved items can be found here http://www.win-rar.com/whatsnew.html.
Of course, as always, the upgrade to 3.90 is absolutely FREE for all registered users! Upgrading is quick and easy. Users only need to download and install the newest version of WinRAR to continue using the best compression tool around! No complicated uninstalling of the previous version is necessary.
WinRAR is now the 32-bit and 64-bit Windows version of RAR Archiver, the powerful compression tool and archive manager. RAR files can usually compress content up to 30 percent better than ZIP files. WinRAR's main features are very strong general and multimedia compression, processing of non-RAR archives, long filename support, programmable self-extracting archives (SFX), damaged archive repair, authenticity verification, embedded file comments, and encryption. WinRAR is available in over 40 different languages and runs on Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP/Vista. The command line version RAR is available for Linux, DOS, OS/2, FreeBSD and MAC OS X. Pocket RAR, the FREE WinRAR version for Pocket PCs and the new WinRAR for U3 complete the compression product range. So WinRAR simply is "The Size Solution".
About win.rar GmbH:
win.rar GmbH, has been the official distributor of WinRAR and RARLAB products since February 2002 and handles all support, marketing, and sales related to WinRAR & rarlab.com. win.rar GmbH is registered in Germany and is represented worldwide by local partners in more than 70 countries on six continents. win.rar's declared objective is to provide first-class quality support and to optimize their software to meet the requirements and in accordance with the feedback of their customers. For more information about WinRAR and win.rar GmbH go to
Get your FREE WinRAR Press-KEY!
win.rar GmbH is the official publisher for WinRAR and RARLAB products since February 2002 and handles all support, marketing and sales related to WinRAR & rarlab.com. win.rar GmbH is located in Germany and is represented globally through its local partners in 6 continents and in more than 80 countries. The company is dedicated to offering the highest level of quality support to its customers, and to constantly improving its software according to their needs and feedback. For more information about WinRAR and win.rar GmbH please visit http://www.win-rar.com
For all journalists, we have reserved a free copy of WinRAR for your personal use. Get your free registration key in our pressroom at http://www.win-rar.com/press. Here you can also find official short descriptions, PAD files, screen shots, news etc.
This online Pressroom was especially designed with the needs of journalists in mind. Including restricted advanced information, access to program previews, and special giveaway offers for the readers of your magazine.
In addition to all of this we have reserved a free copy of WinRAR for your personal use. Come and visit us at http://www.win-rar.com/press today and experience firsthand what WinRAR has to offer.
We are always open to suggestions about how we can make this Pressroom better designed to meet your needs. Please direct all suggestions to: press(at)win-rar(dot)com.
For more information contact:
Fax: +49 30 28 88 45 14