According to the Hearing Loss Association of America, one in every 10 Americans has some form of hearing loss
Palo Alto, CA (PRWEB) July 7, 2009
Gingers Labs, Inc. (http://www.gingerlabs.com), a leading provider of assistive technologies for mobile devices, today announced that its first application for Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch - soundAMP™, "Your Personal Hearing Assistant" - is available on Apple's iTunes App Store. Developed by experts in software, sound processing and hearing, soundAMP turns iPhone and iPod touch into an interactive hearing solution, putting users back in control of their hearing. soundAMP users simply plug in their headset or headphones, insert their earbuds, launch soundAMP, and are instantaneously hearing more clearly.
soundAMP improves users' hearing, whether or not they have hearing loss. Those without hearing loss can launch soundAMP and relax, as there is no more straining to hear what is said. In lecture hall situations, at the theater, or in many other settings, soundAMP puts better hearing easily within reach. For users with hearing loss, soundAMP allows them to re-awaken their sense of hearing; sounds come back to life, and they can hear clearly again.
"According to the Hearing Loss Association of America, one in every 10 Americans has some form of hearing loss," said Fred Mitchell, founder and CEO of Ginger Labs. "Yet, studies show that it takes an average of seven years from the time someone realizes he or she has a hearing loss until the point they do something about it. Many times this happens because people don't have ready access to hearing devices. soundAMP for iPhone changes that. We are taking full advantage of iPhone's innovative feature set and mobility to provide a wider audience of people the advantage of quickly, easily, and affordably improving their hearing, and their daily lives."
Hear Better, Faster and Easier with soundAMP
soundAMP for iPhone puts users in control. Every feature is designed to improve the hearing experience.
- Adjustable: Large buttons make it easy to adjust volume and tone for each individual need, and clearly view the current settings at any given time.
- Repeatable: If a user has missed a recent part of a conversation, an easy-to-use "repeat" button lets them quickly listen to it again.
- Mobile: soundAMP for iPhone or iPod touch can be taken with users anywhere they go, always ready to give hearing a boost.
- Advanced: soundAMP's built-in sound processor improves hearing in a variety of listening situations. The technology manages sound levels, amplifies soft and medium sounds and softens loud sounds. It provides sonic clarity at all volume levels, with limited distortion, allows users to adjust the tone and to improve the clarity of consonants. It even reduces low-level background noise. All the while, feedback or howling is minimized.
- Tested: soundAMP has been tested in a wide variety of situations to ensure optimum results, including lecture halls, restaurants, coffee shops, at home talking with family and friends, among others, while riding a bicycle, and in other real-life scenarios.
- Instantaneous: soundAMP just takes minutes to download and install to an iPhone or iPod touch. Users simply launch it, adjust it, and begin hearing better.
"soundAMP's dynamics and tone processor has been crafted with an elegant yet powerful design philosophy, focused on avoiding distortion at every stage," says Ryan J. Cassidy, PhD, CTO of Ginger Labs. "The processing has been tailored to iPhone's unique audio platform characteristics to deliver an optimal hearing experience."
"I have supported the development of this project since its inception last year, and am excited to watch the progression of the application as it enters the market," said Max Mathews, professor emeritus at the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics at Stanford University. "The world needs better hearing solutions and soundAMP is taking an important step towards meeting that need."
Ginger Labs' soundAMP iPhone application is available immediately from the iTunes App Store for $9.99. To download the application, please visit: http://itunes.com/app/soundAMP
About Ginger Labs
Ginger Labs develops assistive software applications designed to enhance the senses. These applications meet the needs of the large and growing population of people who wish to improve their sensory and expressive capabilities - whether hearing, sight or speech. Ginger Labs applications are delivered on the leading handheld mobile devices, Apple's iPhone and iPod touch. The company's first application, soundAMP, is "Your Personal Hearing Assistant" that turns the iPhone into a hearing device. Ginger Labs was founded in 2008 by Fred Mitchell. The company is headquartered in Palo Alto, California.