San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) July 7, 2009
Neuroscientist Dr. Elkhonon Goldberg and educator Alvaro Fernandez, co-authors of The SharpBrains Guide to Brain Fitness: 18 Interviews with Scientists, Practical Advice, and Product Reviews, to Keep Your Brain Sharp (May 2009, $24.95), will cover the main highlights from this new consumer resource and address the questions submitted by readers.
When: Tuesday July 21st, 10am Pacific Time; 1pm Eastern Time.
How to Register: Click on http://www.sharpbrains.com/book/
Alvaro Fernandez is co-founder and CEO of SharpBrains, a leading market research firm covering applications of neuroscience and cognitive science in education and healthcare. He received masters in education and business from Stanford University, and teaches at UC-Berkeley Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. A member of the World Economic Forum's Global Agenda Councils, he is often quoted by the media including recently in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and CNN.
Dr. Elkhonon Goldberg is internationally renowned for his clinical work, research, and teaching in neuropsychology and cognitive neuroscience. Co-founder and Chief Scientific Advisor of SharpBrains, he is also a Clinical Professor of neurology at New York University School of Medicine and Diplomat of The American Board of Professional Psychology in Clinical Neuropsychology. He is the author of The Executive Brain: Frontal Lobes and The Civilized Mind and The Wisdom Paradox: How Your Mind Can Grow Stronger as Your Brain Grows Older.
Book: The SharpBrains Guide to Brain Fitness: 18 Interviews with Scientists, Practical Advice, and Product Reviews, to Keep Your Brain Sharp (May 2009, $24.95). Information at http://www.sharpbrains.com/book/
Praise for the book
"Finally, an insightful and complete overview of the science, products and trends to debunk old myths and help us all maintain our brains in top shape. A must-read"
--Gloria Cavanaugh, former President & CEO of the American Society on Aging and founding Board member of the National Alliance for Caregiving
"Kudos for an excellent resource! This SharpBrains Guide is full of top notch information, provides practical tips and helps separate hype from hope in the brain health arena."
--Elizabeth Edgerly, Ph.D., Chief Program Officer, Alzheimer's Association
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. The Brain and Brain Fitness 101
1.1. Brain structures
1.2. Brain functions
1.3. The aging brain
1.5. Lifelong learning
1.6. What is brain fitness?
- Dr. Mike Posner: What is attention and how to train it.
- Dr. James Zull: What is lifelong learning?.
- Dr. Eric Jensen: Learning and the brain.
- Dr. Robert Sylwester: Cognition and Brain development.
- Lee Woodruff: Recovering from traumatic brain injury.
Chapter 2. The 4 Pillars of Brain Maintenance
2.1. Why your lifestyle matters
2.2. Pillar 1: Nutrition guidelines
2.3. Pillar 2: Stress management
2.4. Pillar 3: Physical exercise
2.5. Pillar 4: Mental stimulation
2.6. Brain maintenance: Alzheimer's prevention or cognitive enhancement?
2.7. Brain maintenance: summary and guidelines
- Dr. Yaakov Stern: The connection between building a cognitive
reserve and delaying Alzheimer's symptoms.
- Dr. Larry McCleary: A multi-pronged approach to brain health.
- Dr. Art Kramer: Why we need both physical and mental exercise.
- Dr. Elizabeth Zelinski: Healthy aging enhanced with computer-based programs.
Chapter 3. Mental Exercise vs. Mental Activity
3.1. What is mental exercise or "brain training"?
3.2. Different types of brain training
- Cognitive therapy
- Computer-based Software
3.3. Brain training software: An emerging field
3.4. Do brain training software programs really "work"?
3.5. Flood of brain training software without taxonomy
- Dr. Judith Beck: The link between brain training and weight loss.
- Dr. Andrew Newberg: The value of meditation.
- Dr. Brett Steenbarger: Achieving peak performance in high-pressure professions.
- Dr. Martin Buschkuehl: Can intelligence be trained?
- Dr. Arthur Lavin: Working memory training at a pediatrician office.
Chapter 4. Brain Training Software: Profiles, Evaluation Criteria and 21 Quick Picks
4.1. Which exercises are most relevant?
4.2. SharpBrains' checklist to evaluate computer-based programs
4.3. Mapping the brain training software landscape
4.4. Top 21 Quick Picks, by purpose
- Top 8 overall brain maintenance products
- Top 8 targeted brain workout products
- Top 5 stress management products
4.5. Products description and highlights
Chapter 5. A Growing Range of Applications
5.1. Healthy aging
5.2. Brain fitness centers in residential facilities
5.3. Cognitive assessments
5.4. Programs to improve driving skills
5.5. Brain disorders
- Stroke / Traumatic brain injury
- Attention deficit disorders
5.7. Insurance companies
- Dr. Daniel Gopher: Applications for computer-based cognitive simulations.
- Dr. David Rabiner: Brain exercise implications for children with ADD/ADHD.
- Dr. Torkel Klingberg: Expanding working memory for children with ADD/ADHD.
- Dr. Jerri Edwards: Improving driving skills.
Chapter 6. Ready for the Future?
6.1. Brain fitness goes mainstream
6.2. Leveraging better tools
6.3. A growing ecosystem
Chapter 7. Opening the Debate
7.1. The case for social engagement
7.2. Book club discussion guide
About the Book:
While most of us have heard the phrase "use it or lose it," very few understand what "it" means, or how to properly "use it" in order to maintain brain function and fitness. The SharpBrains Guide to Brain Fitness is an invaluable guide that helps readers navigate growing brain research and identify the lifestyle factors and products that contribute to brain fitness. By gathering insights from eighteen of the world's top scientists and offering tools and detailed descriptions of over twenty products, this book is an essential guide to the field of brain fitness, neuroplasticity and cognitive health. An accessible and thought-provoking read, The SharpBrains Guide to Brain Fitness educates lifelong learners and professionals in healthcare, education, business, etc., on emerging trends and forecasts of what the future will hold. Information at http://www.sharpbrains.com/book/
SharpBrains is a market research & advisory firm devoted to helping companies, health providers, investors, policy makers and individuals navigate the brain fitness and cognitive health field. For more information, visit http://www.sharpbrains.com/