Salt Lake City, Utah (PRWEB) July 17, 2009
With practices and facilities alike facing increased scrutiny and decreased reimbursements, enabling coders to understand and identify the relevant rules for compliant and defensible coding is more important than ever. In response to this need, the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC, http://www.aapc.com) is hosting its Surefire Methods for Defensible Coding workshop in 65 cities across the country in August and September.
Michael D. Miscoe, JD, CPC®, CASCC™, CUC™, CHCC, developed this workshop incorporating real-life situations he has seen in his 12-plus years of experience as a coding expert in civil and criminal post-payment cases. For a coder, mistakes are transparent and create potential for big problems, such as failed audit results, improper denials and lost practice revenue--or worse, improper payments and potential post-payment liability. This course teaches coders how to avoid potential mistakes by focusing on correct code selection and is ideal for medical coders and health care professionals. Visit the AAPC's Web site (http://www.aapc.com/education/defensible-coding.aspx) to listen to Michael discuss the workshop and learn more about why this is a must-attend workshop.
Workshop attendees will learn to:
- Identify all rules/laws and persuasive standards that impact all coding decisions.
- Successfully address and resolve suspicions of fraud in the workplace.
- Properly defend your coding decisions or audit results.
- Scan statutes, provider contracts, and carrier medical policies and "zero in" on relevant language.
- Differentiate between fact and opinion--and what stands up to legal scrutiny.
- Predict when proper methods of coding may be open to interpretation and how to resolve ambiguity.
- Build unshakable credibility and value in your professional abilities in the eyes of your peers, employer, and providers or carriers on the other side of the claim.
Workshop attendees can earn up to six continuing education units (CEUs) from this workshop. The workshop includes pre- and post-workshop activities. Registration is now open and can be completed online at http://www.aapc.com/education/defensible-coding.aspx, or by calling 800-626-CODE (2633).
About the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
The AAPC (http://www.aapc.com) is the nation's largest medical coding training and certification association for medical coders. The AAPC provides credentials to medical coders in physician offices, outpatient facilities and payer environments. The certifications the AAPC offers are Certified Professional Coder (CPC®), Certified Professional Coder - Hospital (CPC-H®) and Certified Professional Coder - Payer (CPC-P®), as well as 18 specialty-specific credentials and the Certified Interventional Radiology Cardiovascular Coder® (CIRCC®) credential. These credentials represent the gold standard certifications for medical coding. The AAPC provides a wide variety of benefits to its 79,000 members worldwide.