In today's complex world, sustainable energy is a top concern for businesses looking to meet regulatory compliance and increase their competitive edge
Irvine, CA (PRWEB) July 21, 2009
As sustainability and corporate social responsibility initiatives continue to grow, the University of California, Irvine Extension announces the availability of several new education offerings designed to provide advanced knowledge specific to this burgeoning field. This fall, a new program -- "Specialized Studies in Sustainable Buildings: Renewable Energy Management" -- will be introduced; and three new elective courses under the existing Certificate Program in Sustainability Leadership will be offered in response to increases in the demands and complexity of today's advancing corporate environmental charters.
"In today's complex world, sustainable energy is a top concern for businesses looking to meet regulatory compliance and increase their competitive edge," said Kirwan Rockefeller, Ph.D., director of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences at UC Irvine Extension. "These new offerings will help business leaders and professionals understand sustainability practices and effectively implement changes that will impact their companies -- and ultimately our planet through the lessened expenditure of its natural resources."
Specialized Studies Program in Sustainable Buildings: Renewable Energy Management
UC Irvine Extension's "Specialized Studies in Sustainable Buildings: Renewable Energy Management," will be offered for the first time during the fall quarter. Addressing a variety of alternative and renewable energy technologies, the curriculum will include courses such as:
- "Introduction to Renewable Energy"
- "Developing & Implementing an Energy Savings Program in the Built Environment"
- Energy & Climate Change Strategies for Business"
- "Green Buildings, Energy & the Environment: Creating Sustainable Futures"
- "Energy Retrofits: The Green Building Bottom Line."
Providing an interdisciplinary focus, the program integrates sustainable development and environmentalism into management strategy, advances the comprehension of environmental compliance, contributes to an understanding of regulatory trends, and adds to the achievement of corporate social responsibility.
New Elective Courses for Sustainability Leadership Certificate Program
In addition, as part of UC Irvine Extension's existing Sustainability Leadership program, three new online courses will be offered this fall from Sept. 21 to Dec. 13, 2009.
- Energy & Climate Change Strategies for Business will provide students with methods of responsible energy use while incorporating strategies for corporate structure that achieve emission reduction and mitigate the negative environmental impact of business operations. Participants will learn to identify the role of energy in sustainability, develop the basic components of an effective management program, evaluate proven energy strategies, and create a tool chest of practical energy efficiency measures that can make up an emission reduction portfolio.
- Legal Developments Concerning the Environment & Climate Change will provide a comprehensive review of timely legal issues pertaining to environmental protection, with particular attention to those affecting California. The course will also include an overview of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System, developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), which provides a suite of standards for environmentally-friendly construction. Traditional professional and contract liabilities will also be examined in relation to sustainability.
- Green Buildings, Energy & the Environment: Creating Sustainable Futures will analyze the best practices in green building that directly benefit the environment as well as the builders' bottom line. The course will also examine the roles of renewable solar energy and water conservation in green buildings and apply solid business decisions to retrofit and accelerate the trend of efficient, energy-wise buildings that meet federal, state and local green standards.
To learn more about UC Irvine Extension's Sustainability Leadership certificate program or the Specialized Studies Program in Sustainable Building, visit http://www.extension.uci.edu. To register or for additional information, call 949-824-5414 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
About UC Irvine, Extension:
As the continuing education arm of UCI, UC Irvine Extension is dedicated to providing a university-level learning experience for students, offering thousands of exciting courses and programs to local, regional, and global constituencies via online curriculum as well as through on campus classes. UC Irvine Extension offers a rich array of academic and community programs to support a diverse audience, from a wide selection of academic programs to numerous campus activities. For more information, please visit http://www.extension.uci.edu.
About the University of California, Irvine:
The University of California, Irvine is a top-ranked university dedicated to research, scholarship and community service. Founded in 1965, UCI is among the fastest-growing University of California campuses, with more than 27,000 undergraduate and graduate students and about 1,400 faculty members. The second-largest employer in dynamic Orange County, UCI contributes an annual economic impact of $3.3 billion. For more UCI news, visit http://www.today.uci.edu.