The debut of TheWeatherChannelMusic.com is a natural extension of our on-air music strategy for The Weather Channel
Atlanta, GA (Vocus) August 26, 2009
It is now a breeze for consumers to download the popular tunes showcased on The Weather Channel® network. Today, The Weather Channel licensing division announces the launch of http://www.TheWeatherChannelMusic.com , marking the popular weather company’s first foray onto the digital music scene. TheWeatherChannelMusic.com features music currently being played on The Weather Channel network from some of today’s most popular artists and independent musicians – as well as additional musical selections listeners may enjoy.
“The debut of TheWeatherChannelMusic.com is a natural extension of our on-air music strategy for The Weather Channel,” said Shari Pace, vice president of licensing for The Weather Channel. “Since the launch of our first CD, the goal has been to expand our musical offerings to encompass a wider variety of music. We also wanted to add the digital platform as an alternative channel of distribution for consumers to enjoy and purchase our popular ‘Local on the 8s’ on-air music in a timely and relevant way.”
“I’m really excited about the launch of TheWeatherChannelMusic.com,” shared top instrumentalist Ryan Farish. “The Weather Channel has been so supportive of my music, which is really special and something I truly treasure. I’m honored to be a part of this amazing new site; I know it’s going to be an incredible online destination and will help connect loyal fans to the music."
“The fact that The Weather Channel is featuring the music of The Count Basie Orchestra on its digital music site not only displays class and good taste, but a concern for the continued education of all people,” said Scotty Barnhart, trumpeter for the Count Basie Orchestra. “Count Basie knew that if he could appeal to the eight year old as well as the 80 year old, then smiles and good times would be had by everyone. Count Basie’s music, if listened to closely, will reveal what the world wants in music – music that touches the soul while stimulating the intellect.”
By visiting http://www.TheWeatherChannelMusic.com, active, on-the-go individuals can quickly download songs featured on air in addition to new musical selections from a variety of genres. The Weather Channel lifestyle collections and featured artists include:
- Getaway – This musical collection of smooth pop songs transport listeners to an incredible weather destination – whether that be via mp3 player during a morning jog, a sunset stroll or simply singing in the rain for the fun of it. Getaway provides a relaxing and uplifting experience for listeners by delivering the signature sound that’s made The Weather Channel music so adored throughout the years.
- Rock the World – Rock the World is a guitar lover’s dream as it rips through some incredible rock and roll music. Listeners can “rock on” with the great Carlos Santana, Toto’s Steve Lukather, Steely Dan’s Larry Carlton and others.
- PM Edition Country Classics – This collection features the cornerstones of the country music genre such as Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard along with many of today’s favorite country musicians – as well as up-and-coming artists such as The Lone Starlets.
- PM Edition Evening Romance – Music can and does take people on a romantic musical journey. Songs such as “Ooo Baby Baby,” “Have I Told You Lately that I Love You,” and “Fever” paint a sound-scape of romance as soon as they reach listeners’ ears.
- Acoustic Altitude – A collection of amazing acoustic music in a variety of styles (from back-porch “picking” to Brazillian guitar), Acoustic Altitude spotlights some of the world’s best acoustic guitar players including the U.S. award winner Pete Hutlinger.
- The Greats Series – “Simply amazing” is the only way to describe this collection, which is time-tested and absolutely approved. The Greats Series’ featured artists include the likes of George Benson, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday and Al Jarreau.
“We are not moving away from our core musical offering, which has made The Weather Channel music so in-demand over the years. We are merely expanding our offerings to showcase the power and amazing connection that exists between music and weather,” added Pace.
“Weather, like music, can inspire us through its ability to change the environment around us,” added Farish. “Just like certain songs can evoke memories, so can changing seasons and climates. When a storm is brewing and the wind is blowing, there’s an excitement within me. Likewise, when it rains, I am forced to be still and to give way to something deep inside me... and for me that’s what comes through in the expression and unique communication that is music.”
TheWeatherChannelMusic.com also enables consumers to learn about the musical preferences of The Weather Channel on-camera personalities and to preview upcoming new shows to be broadcast on The Weather Channel network. Additionally, TheWeatherChannelMusic.com will soon be introducing new artists, original music and upcoming specials for Holiday 2009.
To learn more or to start listening, please visit http://www.TheWeatherChannelMusic.com.
About The Weather Channel Companies
The Weather Channel Companies (TWCC) is made up of The Weather Channel Network (TWCN), The Weather Channel Interactive (TWCi), and Weather Services International (WSI). The Weather Channel® is based in Atlanta and is seen in more than 98 million U.S. households. TWCN also operates Weatherscan, a 24-hour all-local weather network; The Weather Channel Radio Network; and The Weather Channel HD. TWCi, which includes the weather.com® site, The Weather Channel Desktop and The Weather Channel Mobile, reaches more than 40 million unique users online each month and is the most popular source of online weather, news and information according to Nielsen//NetRatings. WSI, headquartered in Andover, MA, primarily provides business-to-business weather services, particularly for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. TWCC is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. For more information, visit http://www.weather.com/press.