Sydney, NSW (PRWEB) August 27, 2009
Smiths Chips were originally manufactured in 1931 when English immigrant Frank Smith with an associate, George Ensor, brought his already established business to Australia.
In 1932, Smiths Potato Crisps Australia was formed with a majority interest held by UK Smiths Company. Rapid growth after World War One led to the introduction of the first flavoured crisps, which were chicken flavoured.
Associated Products and Distribution Pty Ltd, later taken over by Coca Cola Amatil (CCA), bought a 41.5% share in the company seven years later. Over the next 20 years, Smiths acquired an expanding portfolio of the most well-liked snack foods in the country, including Twisties and Burger Rings.
A UK company, United Biscuits acquired the CCA Snackfood division in 1993 and changed the business name to The Smiths Snackfood Company, which is how it is still referred to
Presently, Smiths are a division of the International Frito-Lay Inc manufacturers, and a foremost distributor of savoury snack foods to the Australian food industry. Employing over 2,100 people nationally, the company exceeds a gross sales turnover of $600 million annually.
The entire editorial can be downloaded here http://www.beanmedia.com.au/profiles/The%20Smiths%20Snackfood%20Company.pdf.