Most people seriously over estimate their knowledge of job changing. It's imperative that job seekers take the appropriate steps prior to investing their time and energy in seeking a new career.
Boston and Springfield, MA; Hartford, New Haven and Stamford, CT and Washington, DC (Vocus) September 11, 2009
TMI Executive Resources (http://www.TMIer.com ), a firm providing outplacement and career consulting services to thousands of clients around the globe, offers advice to job seekers on how to prepare for the job search.
Many executives who have been laid off or who are trying to affect a career change after a number of years are ill-prepared for the job search. More often than not, these job seekers will simply update their resume and begin their search.
Nowadays, the job search involves so much more. Job seekers need to effectively market themselves. TMI Executive Resources advises job seekers of the steps they need to take prior to launching themselves upon the marketplace:
- Perform a thorough, and honest, evaluation of your marketability. Ultimately, this step will save you time and effort because you won't seek positions that are not right for you.
- Evaluate and, if necessary, update your skills. Enroll in a course. Attend seminars that are specific to the industry. Read up on the latest strategies/techniques in the industry.
- Assess your income potential. Do your research, know your worth and be prepared to talk salary.
- Focus your job search and figure out the direction that you will take. If you are not getting results over the course of your job search; know that you may have to re-focus your search and head in a new direction.
- Hone your interview techniques. Ask a trusted advisor or friend to role-play an interview and then critique your technique.
- Develop effective negotiating strategies.
- Update your resume.
John Hackett, the company's executive vice president explained, "Most people seriously over estimate their knowledge of job changing. It's imperative that job seekers take the appropriate steps prior to investing their time and energy in seeking a new career."
TMI Executive Resources is a worldwide organization that provides professional career consulting and career management services as well as entrepreneurship consulting to executives. Founded in 1986, TMI has provided services to over 4,000 clients around the world and has grown to six locations on the East Coast. TMI headquarters is located at 20 William Street, Suite 100 in Wellesley, MA. The company has offices in Boston and Springfield, MA; Hartford, New Haven and Stamford, CT and Washington DC. For more information, contact 877-864-3932 or visit their website at TMIer.com.
sdubin (at) prworkzone.com