Student Pell Grants Now Up To 200% of Yearly Award Amount.

Share Article

College student Pell Grant recipients can now get up to 200% of their yearly award! This could mean up to $10,700 in free money. See for information on available financial assistance for qualified students.

Pell Grants, for those college students who qualify, are normally from $400 up to $5350 in free money per year for the 2009-2010 academic year. However, beginning this year, according to the Department of Education, qualified students may be able to get up to 200% of their yearly award amount. If the student is attending a semester school, they normally get 50% of their yearly award for each semester of full-time attendance. Check with your school's Financial Aid Office concerning your eligibility.

Now, if their school considers their combined Summer terms as a Semester( and the enrollment date crosses over the July 1 start date of the new award year), Pell Grant recipients may be able to get an extra 50% for both the Summer Prior and the Summer After the Fall and Spring Semesters - if they attend all four terms Full Time (normally 12 hours per semester). Eligible Pell Grant recipients would then get up to $10,700 in free money.

If the Pell Grant recipient enrolls half time (i.e. 6 semester hours) for each summer term (and the summer term prior to award year crosses over the July 1 award year start date) their award would be 25% of the yearly amount for each summer term. Then, if they enrolled Full Time (12+ semester hours) for each of the Fall and Spring semesters, they would get 50% for each of those terms for a total of 150% of their yearly Pell Grant award amount- up to $8025 in free money.

Studenst attending accredited schools that are on the quarter or clock hour system need to contact their Student Financial Aid Counselor for information on their eligibility.

Students apply for Pell Grants and other assistance by completing their Fafsa at To be eligible for Pell Grants, students must qualify on a basis of need and meet other eligibility requirements - such as attendance at an accredited undergraduate college, technical school,etc.

Pell Grant recipients should contact their College's Financial Aid Office for more information on their eligibility. See for more information on Federal Financial Aid and other assistance available - both need and non-need-based.


Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Bety H
Visit website