Achieving these milestones so quickly after launch is a great affirmation of our strategy to provide our customers with more choices in how, when and where they can interact with America's #1 bookstore
New York (PRWEB) September 21, 2009
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world's largest bookseller, announced today that downloads for both the B&N Bookstore app and the B&N eReader app for the iPhone and iPod touch have hit the one million mark. The company also said that its free B&N eReader app is one of the most popular apps in the iTunes Books category, having held the number one position throughout the summer. These iPhone applications from Barnes & Noble.com, enable mobile consumers quick and easy access to a wealth of content on their iPhone and iPod touch devices. In addition, in-store customers have enjoyed almost two million AT&T Wi-Fi sessions since the complimentary service was made available in all Barnes & Noble stores across the country six weeks ago.
"Achieving these milestones so quickly after launch is a great affirmation of our strategy to provide our customers with more choices in how, when and where they can interact with America's #1 bookstore," said William J. Lynch, president of Barnes & Noble.com. "The access and convenience we're providing through these apps, combined with our complimentary Wi-Fi, have enhanced our rich in-store experience, extended that experience for on-the-go mobile consumers, and helped us deliver on our promise to give readers access to the books they love -- on any platform, in any place and at any time."
The Barnes & Noble Bookstore app for iPhone and iPod touch allows customers to:
- Discover their next great read by browsing bestsellers, B&N Recommends lists, new releases or watching video interviews with authors.
- Check the events calendar for celebrity book signings, readings, musical performances and children's Storytimes.
- Find the closest Barnes & Noble, get maps and directions.
- Use the iPhone's camera to snap a photo of a front cover on a book, CD or DVD and within seconds promptly retrieve product details, editorial reviews, and customer ratings - even find and reserve a copy in the nearest store.
The Barnes & Noble eReader app for the Barnes & Noble eBookstore - enabling convenient anytime, anywhere eBook reading on iPhone and iPod touch; BlackBerry® smartphones, PCs and Mac® laptops and desktops - offers customers:
- Instant access to more than 750,000 eBook titles.
- Hundreds of new eBook releases and eBook bestsellers at $9.99.
- More than half a million free public domain titles.
- Powerful tools to optimize the reading experience, including the ability to modify type, size and font and annotate and bookmark text, as well as an innovative auto-scroll feature enabling hands-free reading.
The Barnes & Noble Bookstore and eReader apps are available for free download from the Apple App Store on iPhone and iPod touch or at itunes.com/appstore..
The complimentary, unlimited AT&T Wi-Fi service in all Barnes & Noble stores provides customers access to the world's most comprehensive eBookstore, exclusive content, customer reviews, information about in-store events and more.
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world's largest bookseller and a Fortune 500 company, operates 774 bookstores in 50 states. Barnes & Noble is the nation's top bookseller brand for the sixth year in a row, as determined by a combination of the brand's performance on familiarity, quality, and purchase intent; the top bookseller in quality for the second year in a row and the number two retailer in trust, according to the EquiTrend® Brand Study by Harris Interactive®. Barnes & Noble conducts its online business through Barnes & Noble.com (http://www.bn.com)], one of the Web's largest e-commerce sites, which also features hundreds of thousands of titles in its eBookstore. Customers can buy and read eBooks on a wide range of platforms, including the iPhone and iPod touch, BlackBerry® smartphones, as well as most Windows® and Mac® laptops or full-sized desktop computers.
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate website: barnesandnobleinc.com