There are a myriad of ways to go about educating families on the family business and just as many possibilities for topics
Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) September 20, 2009
The Family Business Consulting Group, Inc. ® (efamilybusiness.com), announced today a new addition to the Family Business Leadership Book Series titled Family Education For Business-Owning Families: Strengthening Bonds By Learning Together, by FBCG principals Amy Schuman and John Ward.
The focus of this book is on the importance of education for family businesses. According to Schuman and Ward, one of the key factors in maintaining the legacy of the family business is a good program of family education. In their book, the authors point out nine benefits of family education:
- Learning together brings extended family members closer to one another
- Cousins get to know and trust each other
- The family business becomes stronger and healthier
- Family members not working in the business feel more connected to it
- Cousins may put aside old family conflicts and discover they actually like each other
- Life becomes richer as family members enjoy new experiences together
- Family member reconnect with the community they grew up in when they return to plan or attend educational events
- Younger family members develop respect for employees y seeing how hard they work and how much they know
- Education instills pride in the family business and in the family and its values
The authors go on to say, "There are a myriad of ways to go about educating families on the family business and just as many possibilities for topics". "Everything from family and business history, family dynamics and establishing and sharing family values to knowledge important for ownership such as roles and responsibilities and establishing family governance mechanisms."
The bottom line is an educated ownership and family group stays attached and interested in the business and become the champions and stewards of the legacy that has been created. It's the best way to build a strong family and a strong business.
About The Family Business Consulting Group, Inc.:
Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, The Family Business Consulting Group consists of world renowned consultants committed to helping family businesses prosper across generations. Their experienced consultants and advisors have founded several family business programs at university and non-profit organizations, won awards for their educational, consultative and research activities and, combined, are the most prolific authors in the field.
For more information about The Family Business Consulting Group and its services, contact Ken Bosshart at 770.421.0110 or visit efamilybusiness.com