Washington, DC (PRWEB) October 15, 2009
Family is the oldest and the most basic human institution. Unfortunately, the institution of family and the quality of values that it provides has been steadily declining. The marriage rate has been declining consistently whereas the divorce rate and single parenting has been on rise. Family violence, spouse and child abuse are making families dysfunctional. This turmoil is directly influencing younger generation. Youth Violence, substance abuse, sexual assaults, teenage pregnancies etc. are becoming more and more common. The geriatric depression is taking its toll on elderly due to loneliness and lack of family support. The net effect of all this is lack of productivity, increased crimes and unrest in society.
Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA), a leading American Muslim organization, has launched a "Save Family, Save Society" campaign nationwide inviting all citizens to explore family system prescribed by Islam and the values it promotes and their impact on the society.
The grassroots campaign has organized following initiatives:
· Muslim Family Day attracting 60,000 from 40 states
· Engaging over 1000 mosques and community organizers as partners
· Wide distribution of "The Message" magazine and other targeted publications
· Toll-free family counseling hotline
· Family meetings in thousands of homes
· Outreach material such as brochure on "Family in Islam" and a video introducing Muslim families
· Online and onsite workshops in major metropolitans
· Establishment of Muslim Family Services (MFS)
The campaign aims to achieve following goals:
· Introduce Islamic Family Shariah laws as they relate with religious and universal family values
· Convey Islam's position on homosexuality, polygamy, domestic violence & related issues
· Provide mediation, arbitration and/or negotiation in divorce and related counseling
· Promote pre-marital counseling as a requirement for all Islamic marriages
· Address contemporary issues such as health care debate from family perspective
This campaign will end with "National Family Resolution Day" on Oct. 30, 2009. This campaign wants to preserve the institution of family, which is heading towards collapse and its ramifications are getting manifested in the society. ICNA invites everyone to ponder over the fundamental reasons behind the problem. The underlying principles need to be reexamined because no matter how many rules and regulations are enacted; they will fail unless the underlying principles are healthy.
ICNA is one of the largest, non-profit, independent, grass roots organizations of North America. We are committed to creating a healthy environment that is conducive to their all-round physical, moral and intellectual development. For more information on campaign, visit http://www.icna.org/family
# # #