Most electrical fires result from problems with fixed wiring such as faulty electrical outlets and old wiring.
Manhasset, NY (PRWEB) October 7, 2009
Art projects and articles about the dangers of fire - and how to prevent it - will be brought home by schoolchildren this Fire Prevention Week along with stories about the firemen who came to class to visit. The fact is that the loss of lives and property can in many cases easily be prevented.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, "Most electrical fires result from problems with fixed wiring such as faulty electrical outlets and old wiring."
BSafe Electrix, a technology-driven manufacturer, has introduced a revolutionary new wall outlet that will save lives and property by sensing abnormal temperatures in electrical wiring devices, de-energizing the circuits involved, and stopping potential catastrophic fires before they can start.
Available right now, the UL-listed BSafe duplex outlet is the only wall outlet based on patented TFCI™ Thermal Cut-Off Technology. The BSafe outlet provides a new safety feature: Multiple sensors in the device detect abnormal heat at each plug outlet and wiring screw terminal. When such heat is detected, the sensors activate, the load fully disconnects, and an indicator pin protrudes from the face of the device. The user can easily see that abnormally high heat tripped the device, which is no longer functional - a feature that prevents further damage to the existing wiring. And, it has a tamper resistant safety feature which prevents children from inserting foreign object into the outlet.
Every year there are 67,800 fires, 485 deaths, and $868 million in property losses caused by electrical wiring problems.1 In fact, Americans are more concerned about fire than any other home disaster.2 "The news too often has tragic headlines about lives lost because of electrical fires started at outlets," said BSafe Chairman and CEO Michael Strauss. "BSafe was founded to bring life- and property-saving technology to market in the form of advanced, innovative electrical-wiring devices," he said.
BSafe outlets protect against the loss of life and property caused by:
- An overloaded receptacle outlet in a branch circuit with improper Over-Current Protection (OCP).
- A hot plug - a High Resistance Connection (HRC) in the attachment plug of an extension cord and/or appliance power supply cord.
- Improperly installed wiring and/or mechanically-disturbed wiring connections leading to an abnormal heating (high temperature), which leads to a glowing connection.
What's the cost of safety? Not much.
In an environment where safety and security have become critical construction elements, this innovative approach to fire reduction is available. "This is an inexpensive investment for a home, business, or institution owner given the geometric increase in safety and peace of mind BSafe outlets deliver" said Len Gallo, BSafe Senior Vice President, Distribution and Logistics. Specific information about pricing to the trade is available from BSafe Electric, 877- 272- 3350.
Based in Manhasset, NY, BSafe Electrix builds applications for its proprietary heat-sensing technology by creating and marketing new, patentable, electrical devices with an improved fire-safety profile. The company's research, product development, and manufacturing efforts address an electrical safety problem that exists in the wiring devices market for electrical products used universally in residential, commercial and industrial buildings.
FIRE SAFETY TIPS…
Brought to you by BSafe - THE ONLY FIRE-PREVENTION OUTLET!
Learn more at Fire Safe Outlets
From the US Fire Administration:
- Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring: Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.
- Keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters; pay special care to electrical appliances in the bathroom and kitchen.
- Never overload extension cords or wall sockets.
- Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker. Use safety closures to "child-proof" electrical outlets.
- Check your electrical tools regularly for signs of wear. If the cords are frayed or cracked, replace them.
- nstall smoke alarms, either self-contained or as part of a system, outside bedrooms and on EVERY LEVEL OF THE HOME. If you sleep with your bedroom door closed, you should add a smoke alarm in the bedroom.
- Test and maintain your alarms as if your life depends on it. IT DOES!
- Make sure everyone can clearly hear the sound of your smoke alarms from their bedrooms.
- Make an escape plan with two ways out of every room and practice it with your family.
From the National Fire Protection Association:
- A portable fire extinguisher can save lives and property by putting out a small fire or containing it until the fire department arrives; but portable extinguishers have limitations. Because fire grows and spreads so rapidly, the number one priority for residents is to get out safely.
- People who live in homes that are more than 10 years old should consider having the wiring inspected.
- Know emergency phone numbers for your area. In most places it is 911. Post the number near each telephone. Teach children the emergency number.
•Replace all of your electrical outlets with the ONLY outlet that can prevent an outlet electrical fire. You can find the BSafe® TFCITM outlet at Fire Safe Outlets