(PRWEB) October 8, 2009
Indonesia, which has the world's second largest coal bed methane reserves, aims to encourage domestic industries and power plants to use alternative sources of energy such as coal, coalmine methane and natural gas due to fluctuating international oil prices.
The country, Asia-Pacific's only OPEC member, has ambitious plans to start producing Coal Bed Methane gas by 2011 and is on track to fulfilling its goal. Since 2008, Indonesia has signed over 10 PSC contracts, 3 of which were signed during the 33rd Indonesian Petroleum Association (IPA) on May 5, 2009. Another 4 more were signed on 4-6 August at the Society Petroleum Engineer Asia Pacific Oil & Gas Conference and Exhibition (SPE APOGCE) 2009 at the Jakarta Convention Center (JCC).
As the race to produce Coal Bed Methane gains steam in Indonesia's CBM sector, industry executives need to scale the steep CBM learning curve to maximize CBM's potential to strengthen natural gas supplies.
CMT's CBM Production Techniques workshop in Jakarta on 5-6 November is designed to provide answers and information to industry executives on the Coal Bed Methane production value chain, and addresses the growing need for technical understanding and expertise as Asian countries like Indonesia embark on ambitious Coal seam gas production programs. The Workshop will be led by two internationally renowned experts from the US Geologic Survey (USGS) and Lucas Drilling Services, who have over 5 decades of combined experience in Coal Bed Methane exploration.
The 2-day workshop will address issues central to CBM Production including:
- The Potential and Problems of developing CBM as part of the national energy mix
- Commercial Appraisal & Assessment techniques for CBM resources.
- Production forecasting and feasibility assessment.
- Impact of Geological, geochemical composition of the coal, and its impact on gas content, composition, distribution, recoverability
- Environmental implications of developing CBM production.
- Water Management- Safe Disposal of co-produced water
- Pros & Cons of CBM Drilling techniques and selecting the ideal one.
- Procedures behind Completion.
- Stimulation methods for Coal Bed Methane reservoirs.