The Mulligan Law Firm is Investigating Injury Claims: The Insulin Analog Lantus® has been Linked to Increased Cancer Risk

Share Article

The Mulligan Law Firm is Investigating Lantus Injury Claims. "Three of the four studies suggest an increased risk for cancer associated with use of Lantus." -- From the Food and Drug Administration MedWatch Safety Alert

The Mulligan Law Firm is investigating Lantus injury claims. "Three of the four studies suggest an increased risk for cancer associated with use of Lantus." -- From the Food and Drug Administration MedWatch Safety Alert

Lantus® is a sterile solution of insulin glargine, made for injection in patients with diabetes. Produced by French drug maker Sanofi-Aventis, Lantus is a long-acting insulin analog, having a duration of up to 24 hours.

Of the estimated 200 million people with diabetes worldwide, 10 percent are Type 1 diabetics, absolutely dependent on insulin treatment in order to maintain health. The remaining 90 percent of diabetics, Type 2, can supply some of their own insulin in the early stages of the disease. Later in life many patients with type 2 diabetes lose the ability to produce their own insulin, and then rely on insulin injections to maintain health.

The studies that suggested the increased cancer risk -
The results of four large studies on Lantus were published on June 26, 2009, in the Diabetes Journal Diabetologia. The patients in the studies were from Scotland, Sweden, UK and Germany. The subjects in the German study were from an insurance database of approximately 127,000 insulin-treated patients, and the results suggested a possible link between Lantus and an increased risk of developing cancer.

"Compared with people using similar doses of human insulin, out of every 100 people who used Lantus insulin over an average of about one-and-a-half years, one additional person was diagnosed with cancer." -- From the Diabetologia Press Release.

The study also found that the risk of cancer was dose-dependent; those taking higher doses of Lantus seemed to be at greater risk for developing cancer.

These results led to the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) to make "an urgent call for more research into a possible link between use of insulin glargine (an insulin analogue, brand name Lantus) and increased risk of cancer, following evidence from studies in Germany, Sweden and Scotland."

About The Mulligan Law Firm
The Mulligan Law Firm is a national law firm located in Dallas, Texas, providing information and resources for injured individuals and their families in all 50 states. The firm has successfully resolved over $600,000,000 in claims for its clients since 1995.

The Mulligan Law Firm is currently investigating injury claims involving the possibility of increased cancer risk with Lantus. If you or a loved one have been prescribed Lantus and now find yourself diagnosed with cancer, please get in touch with us immediately for a free consultation - contact Eric Gruenwald, Lawyer at (866) 529-0001, Ext. 245. The Mulligan Firm has experienced lawyers ready to help.

All cases are taken on a contingency-fee basis, which means the prospective client does not pay for our services unless an award or compensation is received.

Consult with your physician before you stop taking any medications, including Lantus.

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Eric Gruenwald
The Mulligan Law Firm
866-529-0001 ext. 245
Email >
Visit website