As 'Green IT' becomes a strategic imperative and no longer a 'nice to have', Consonus is well-positioned to be the Energy-Efficient Data Center provider of choice.
Cary, N.C. (PRWEB) October 26, 2009
Consonus Technologies today announced several wide-ranging programs related to the company's energy efficiency and other "green" initiatives. To effect innovation and demonstrate leadership in the "green data center" space, Consonus has intensified its efforts, including joining industry associations to effect global, local, strategic, and tactical opportunities for change.
- Membership in The Green Grid, a global consortium dedicated to advancing energy efficiency in data centers and business computing ecosystems. The Green Grid seeks to provide industry-wide recommendations on best practices, metrics and technologies that will improve overall data center and business computing energy efficiencies. By joining The Green Grid, Consonus is helping influence both developers and end users of data center technology.
- Membership in Rocky Mountain Power's Blue Sky Program, at the "Visionary" level. Rocky Mountain Power's Blue Sky program provides customers with an easy way to support regional wind energy, and to help encourage the development of small, community-based renewable energy projects in the company's service area, such as solar power.
- High-Efficiency Cooling, including Closed Loop cooling systems and clean chilled water cooled versus DX-type systems.
- Solutions for hot aisle/cold aisle management to more efficiently utilize the power used to run the air handlers (CRAC units) in Consonus data centers
- Chimneys to better, more efficiently capture return air for cooling
- Additional physical structures to better contain the hot and cold air in its specified aisle
- Computational fluid dynamic (CFD) modeling to better understand data center airflow. The physical configuration of data center equipment is based on these airflow and thermal analyses for maximum efficiency.
- Unique, Consonus-developed swamp cooling systems installed on rooftop units to improve energy efficiency by over 25%. (At the Consonus West Data Center in the Salt Lake City area.)
- Efficient Lighting is used throughout Consonus facilities. F32T8 Fluorescent Light Bulbs are some of the most energy-efficient bulbs available which helps reduce our monthly power cost.
Consonus' highly efficient Data Centers, Virtualization solutions, and Managed IT Services such as Consonus Virtual Business Continuity™ (VBC™) and Consonus Secure Archiving for the Enterprise™ (SAFE™) enable customers to more effectively utilize their capital resources. Consonus' cloud computing model decreases and transforms capital expense into operating expense, and frees a customer's IT staff to focus on business applications that positively impact the core business rather than routine tasks or those required for regulatory compliance.
"Energy efficiency is both good business and good corporate citizenship; it's a win/win for business at all levels at which it operates: financial, operational, environmental, and community. Rarely are business solutions so holistically viable and compelling across all of these constituencies," said John Roger, Co-President of Consonus. "As 'Green IT' becomes a strategic imperative and no longer a 'nice to have', Consonus is well-positioned to be the Energy-Efficient Data Center provider of choice."
Consonus continually strives for innovative ways to create efficiency. A prime example is the company's collaboration with various energy efficiency thought leaders and research organizations, through which Consonus leverages ground-breaking research and innovations specifically focused on data center efficiency.
Underscoring its commitment to energy efficiency, Consonus has established a cross-functional steering committee to investigate and implement energy efficiency opportunities. The committee is populated by leadership from the company's Operations, Product Development, and Technology teams and is directly overseen by Consonus Co-Presidents Bob McCarthy and John Roger.
"Data centers are among the largest users of power nationally (estimates range from 2% to 8% of total power used, and growing), and often pass significant and continuously increasing power costs onto customers," stated Bob McCarthy, Co-President of Consonus. "In addition to our long history of social responsibility -- giving back to the community and minimizing our impact on natural resources -- Consonus' energy efficiency is a competitive advantage. Being "Green" saves everyone, especially our customers, money."
About Consonus Technologies
Consonus Technologies, Inc. is a leading national provider of Data Center hosting and colocation, Managed IT Services, IT Infrastructure, and IT Consulting solutions based in Cary, NC. Offering a comprehensive suite of IT services, combined with highly-secure, reliable, and energy-efficient data centers across the country, Consonus provides customers with complete cloud computing solutions addressing disaster recovery, data protection, and virtualization. Visit Consonus Technologies on the Web at http://www.consonus.com.