Rancho Cordova, CA (PRWEB) November 3, 2009
After decades of skincare research, retinoids have become the gold standard in anti-aging. Skincare-News.com's latest article, "5 Reasons to Try Retinoids," offers the facts behind retinoid products and tips for using them.
Top 5 Facts about Retinoids
1. Retinoids' efficacy is well-established. Retinoids debuted in the 1970s as an acne treatment. Soon, patients started reporting other benefits: less wrinkles, less discoloration and brighter, smoother skin. Since then, retinoids have been extensively studied. Rigorous, double-blind research has shown their efficacy time and time again.
2. Retinoids shrink signs of aging. Considered the gold standard in anti-aging, retinoids reduce fine lines and wrinkles, diminish roughness and fade brown spots and hyperpigmentation.
3. Retinoids actually build collagen. Collagen gives skin its youthful look by providing structure, firmness and fullness. However, aging and sun exposure deplete collagen, making a person look older. Research has shown that retinoids prevent photo-aging and promote collagen growth. They also normalize the cells, which tend to act erratically as we age.
4. Retinoids attack acne. Retinoids are excellent exfoliants, revealing clearer -- and younger, more radiant -- skin. They also successfully reduce oil production and can effectively treat severe acne.
5. Retinoids even treat psoriasis. Because retinoids normalize cell activity, they're effective at treating psoriasis, a condition triggered by skin cells growing too quickly. In 1997, the topical retinoid tazarotene was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a psoriasis treatment. Clinical studies have shown that it works, providing long-term benefits and maintaining results.
Keep the following in mind when applying retinoids:
Skincare-News.com covers all skincare and beauty topics from head to toe. Check out these latest articles:
Green Tea: A Bevy of Skincare Benefits
While all teas contain valuable ingredients, green tea is the most studied and offers a variety of known health and beauty benefits. The key is in green tea's antioxidants, which fight off free radicals, sun damage and other factors that can damage skin. According to studies, these antioxidants can also boost the effectiveness of sunscreen and may help stave off skin cancer. Green tea can be taken as a supplement, applied topically in skincare products, or consumed the old-fashioned way, by the cup. Here's a thorough guide to the potential benefits of green tea.
Avene Product Review: Solutions for Sensitive Skin
Looking for a gentle formula that works to battle blemishes or reduce wrinkles?
Consider Avene, a skincare line that caters to delicate complexions. Avene products are designed to be kind to sensitive skin. At the heart of the Avene product line is its Thermal Spring Water, which has been used since 1743 in Avene's Hydrotherapy Center to treat serious skin conditions. This mineral-rich spring water has been clinically proven to balance and restore the skin, and offers a number of benefits for every skin type. Learn more about Avene in this article from Skincare-News.
Hyaluronic Acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body that has become a skincare staple in anti-aging products of all kinds. While hyaluronic acid is ubiquitous in young, healthy skin, aging, smoking and a poor diet can all contribute to lower levels over time. In the facial area, this leads to wrinkles and sagging around the eyes, mouth and cheeks and an overall loss of elasticity. Fortunately, scientists have discovered how to harness hyaluronic acid as a skincare ingredient, taking advantage of its natural ability to help the skin absorb moisture. Now available in the form of topical products, injectable fillers and oral supplements, continued use of products with hyaluronic acid can lead to smoother, more supple skin, resulting in a younger-looking complexion. Learn more about hyaluronic acid and how it can help reduce the appearance of aging for healthy skin.