"In these trying economic times, unless you know that someone really needs and wants that gift you were planning on giving, you could do more good by supporting a charity that is important to the person you care about."
Royal Oak, MI (PRWEB) December 2, 2009
As the gift giving season moves into high gear, there is a new alternative to the millions of hours and billions of dollars spent on gifts that are unwanted, go unused, and end up in landfills or next year's garage sale. Instead of a Gift, Inc., has just launched their new web site, InsteadofaGift.org, and for the first time, there is a site solely devoted to replacing material gifts with online charitable donations. Instead of a Gift, Inc., has made it easy to either give a donation instead of shopping for and sending a gift, as well as registering for contributions to your favorite charity instead of receiving gifts for yourself.
"We are dedicated to the belief that traditional gift giving is incredibly wasteful." said Frank M. Edwards, president and chief executive officer. "In these trying economic times, unless you know that someone really needs and wants that gift you were planning on giving, you could do more good by supporting a charity that is important to the person you care about ."
Insteadofagift.org will make it easy to do your holiday shopping this year. From the site, visitors can make donations to any of the more than 40 charities which are represented there. Donations can be made in honor of someone for which you would traditionally have purchased a physical gift, or in memory of someone you care about.
The site also will allow visitors to create registry, or fundraising pages, where they can establish a page explaining their reasons for supporting the charity of their choice, and allow friends and family to quickly and easily donate to their charity instead of having to shop for a gift. The donor receives a tax deduction for their contribution, and the creator of the page receives notification of the contribution.
"So many of us feel compelled to buy gifts for those we care about. Our generosity is legendary," said Edwards. "But is it the best use of resources in these times of need to spend money on items made half a world away that are the wrong size or color? That were not what the recipient really needed or wanted? What if we used that money to make a difference in the lives of others? What if we spared the environmental impact of the production, transportation, packaging and wrapping of these gifts of questionable value?"
InsteadofaGift.org enables the support of a wide variety of charitable organizations. From the Alzheimer's Association to the World Wildlife Fund, homeless shelters to animal shelters, autism to veteran's groups. Visitors can select the charity of their choice and let their friends and family know about their page.
Among the top reasons for using InsteadofaGift.org instead of giving or receiving a material gift:
10. Your charitable contribution will not be recalled for lead paint.
9. In these economic times, charities need money more than you need another present.
8. Do all your shopping from home without burning gas (or burning yourself out).
7. You really don't need another trinket made in some far off land.
6. Wouldn't it be nice to pay less taxes?
5. That box and wrapping paper…unnecessary waste of natural resources.
4. You want to support your friend or family member's favorite charity, but you don't want to receive their mailings every two weeks for the rest of your life.
3. That toy came all the way from where just to end up in next years's garage sale?
2. Don't you feel better knowing that the money they spent on you went to help those truly in need of help?
1. You finally found a way to support your favorite charity even more than you personally could afford.
For more information visit http://www.InsteadofaGift.org or call 248-797-7344.