My kids are too busy
Fort Worth, TX (PRWEB) December 10, 2009
During the winter holidays, adult children who live at a distance from their parents might be shocked. 'They've gotten so old,' is not an uncommon thought.
According to research from the National Alliance for Caregiving and AARP, long-distance caregivers in the U.S. who are caring for an older relative number from 5 million to 7 million. Long-distance caregivers are generally defined as living more than one hour from the older adult.
"The holidays provide a perfect opportunity to make decisions regarding the needs of our aging parents," said Kim Meyers, president of Home Instead Senior Care in Fort Worth. "Many options are available to help seniors remain safe and independent in their own homes - often the most cost-effective solution for families and the preference of most seniors."
In-home care agencies, like Home Instead Senior Care serving the Greater Fort Worth area, can provide the following senior services:
- If the aging adult's physical or mental capabilities to drive are compromised, transportation can be arranged to wherever they want or need to go.
- If eating and food is an issue, individuals can visit who can grocery shop, plan, prepare and clean up after meals.
- If they can't sleep, daytime mental and physical stimulation can be arranged. Overnight care is also available.
- If they're not taking their medications properly, care-providers can help fill prescriptions and provide reminders to take their medications.
- Assistance with personal hygiene and laundry can be provided.
- If they are recently bereaved (e.g., loss of spouse or adult child), much-needed companionship is available.
- If they're depressed about their lack of independence, care providers can help them maintain their independence by providing dependable, one-on-one care with their activities of daily living.
- If they make statements like "My kids are too busy," caregivers can visit when family members can't.
- Home Instead Senior Care of Fort Worth invites adult caregivers to read its latest article, Aging Parents and the Holidays: Assessing Needs and other useful articles at http://www.homeinstead.com/246/resources/default.aspx.
About Home Instead Senior Care, Fort Worth
Home Instead Senior Care/Fort Worth provides in-home senior care to clients in the greater Fort Worth area. Home care services delivered right in a loved one's home range from a few hours a day to long-term, 24 hour care, as well as Alzheimer's and dementia care.
This press release was distributed through PR Web by Senior Care Marketer (SeniorCareMarketer: http://www.SeniorCareMarketer.com) on behalf of the company listed above.
# # #