The uptake of Eucalyptus in 2009 exceeded even the most ambitious projections we made when we started the company in April
Santa Barbara, Calif. (PRWEB) January 12, 2010
Eucalyptus Systems, Inc., creators of the leading open source private cloud platform, today announced that since its inception last April, uptake of the open source Eucalyptus cloud software is rapidly increasing, with downloads directly from the Eucalyptus website reaching more than 15,000 per month, across 120 countries on every continent except Antarctica. Eucalyptus is also shipping as the built-in open source cloud with every copy of the Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition Linux distribution, further extending Eucalyptus' market reach and helping establish it as the standard for secure, on-premise, private cloud computing.
"The uptake of Eucalyptus in 2009 exceeded even the most ambitious projections we made when we started the company in April," commented Woody Rollins, CEO and co-founder of Eucalyptus Systems. "We continue to experience consistent interest from a wide variety of industries and commercial organizations - from small companies to Fortune 100 businesses. Providing a scalable cloud platform that is free and available for anyone to download and use to create secure, private clouds that are fully compatible with Amazon EC2 seems to have defined an important segment of the emerging cloud ecosystem. We believe Eucalyptus will help drive much broader general adoption of cloud computing in 2010."
Highlights for Eucalyptus in 2009 include:
- Eucalyptus Systems debuts in April as an open source private and hybrid cloud computing company, with venture funding from Benchmark Capital and BV Capital.
- Eucalyptus software is adopted by Canonical as the engine behind the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC), a new cloud computing solution packaged in the latest version of the popular Ubuntu distribution. UEC including Eucalyptus ships with every copy of Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition, which is fully supported by Canonical, the commercial sponsor of the Ubuntu project.
- Leading organizations and institutions such as Eli Lilly, NASA and Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF) implement Eucalyptus as part of strategic cloud computing initiatives.
- Eucalyptus Systems releases its first commercial offering: the Eucalyptus Enterprise Edition (EE). Eucalyptus EE enables customers to implement an on-premise Eucalyptus cloud with VMware®'s virtualization technologies, including vSphere®, ESX™ and ESXi™. Eucalyptus EE is the only on-premise cloud computing solution available today for vSphere customers, providing a robust, affordable cloud computing solution that leverages their investment in VMware virtualization technologies.
- Eucalyptus launches a major update of its open source software, Eucalyptus version 1.6. This latest version of Eucalyptus features new multi-cluster support and enhanced concurrency management for improved scaling, enabling users to seamlessly overlay their Eucalyptus cloud on top of virtually any existing IT infrastructure, regardless of size or configuration.
- Eucalyptus Systems receives widespread industry recognition with awards including the Cloudie Award for "Best Private Cloud Vendor;" "Start-up of the Week" by InformationWeek magazine; one of "10 Start-ups to Watch in 2010" and an "Open Source Company to Watch" by Network World and Under the Radar winner for "Best Cloud Platform."
"The economic incentives for deploying a private cloud are compelling, both in the near term and in the longer term," said Rich Wolski, CTO and co-founder of Eucalyptus Systems "Today, private clouds are increasingly used to test applications prior to full deployment on a public cloud like Amazon EC2 and as part of 'hybrid' cloud environments, where proprietary or sensitive data permanently resides on a secure, on-premise server. We expect that in 2010, there will be much greater adoption of Eucalyptus and other cloud technologies, and that some Fortune 100 cloud adopters will be moving their cloud computing platforms into production. It is our expectation that industries such as financial, pharmaceuticals, gaming and government will lead the movement. It will be a very exciting year for Eucalyptus Systems."
About Eucalyptus Systems, Inc.
Eucalyptus Systems develops enterprise-grade technology solutions built on the open source Eucalyptus software for private and hybrid cloud computing. Originally developed as part of an academic research project, Eucalyptus is quickly becoming the standard for on-premise cloud computing, delivering the cost efficiencies and scalability of a cloud architecture with the security and control of deploying on an organization's own IT infrastructure. Eucalyptus is the only private cloud to support the same application programming interfaces (APIs) as public clouds, such as Amazon Web Services. Eucalyptus is available as open source software and also in the Eucalyptus Enterprise Edition (EEE), a commercial offering designed for large scale enterprises. For more information about Eucalyptus, please visit http://www.eucalyptus.com.
Eucalyptus and Eucalyptus Systems are pending trademarks in the U.S. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. Other product or company names mentioned may be trademarks or trade names of their respective companies.