“Our approach to product development is to stay connected to the customer,” said Dan Roche, marketing manager with Briggs & Stratton Commercial Power. “Our work in the field helped define the design criteria for these new Vanguard engines.”
Past News ReleasesRSS
Milwaukee, WI (PRWEB) February 4, 2010
Briggs & Stratton® Commercial Power announces the addition of four new Vanguard™ single-cylinder engines (http://www.vanguardengines.com) with gross horsepower ratings ranging from 5.5 hp to 10.0 hp. The new engines represent many new features specifically designed to address the top worksite challenges cited by end-user customers and OEMs: heavy dust, lack of regular maintenance, filtration issues and oil dilution during transportation. The new engines were on display for the first time during the 2010 World of Concrete held in Las Vegas, Nev., February 2-5, 2010.
During transport, engines are subjected to vibration, which can cause fuel to flow through the engine and into the oil. Fuel in the oil drastically reduces viscosity, resulting in more friction, increased wear and shorter engine life.
Vanguard engineers researched and created an integrated switch that simultaneously shuts off the ignition and the fuel. This patent-pending innovation, called the TransportGuard™ system, ensures that fuel stays where it belongs and helps eliminate fouled plugs, hydraulic lock, cylinder wash down and crankcase oil dilution caused by transportation. Ultimately, this saves equipment owners and rental firms money by decreasing downtime and repair costs.
In addition to solving oil dilution issues, engineers designed each component and integrated technology to efficiently work together to raise durability and reliability standards.
“Our approach to product development is to stay connected to the customer,” said Dan Roche, marketing manager with Briggs & Stratton Commercial Power. “Our work in the field helped define the design criteria for these new Vanguard engines. By listening to customers and working with OEMs, we have developed an engine series that will raise the standard of dependability in the toughest job site situations.”
Each area of the engine has been designed to address durability and reliability challenges. A high-mounted canister-style air cleaner has 27 percent more filter area than competitor units. An all-metal fuel tank reduces emissions, saves fuel and is mounted directly to the engine block. And heat-treated PTO bearing races ensure long-lasting equipment performance.
Additional features and benefits targeting durability standards include:
- Air filter is water-repellant and protected by a full metal cage; features an innovative triple-seal design to dramatically decrease dirt, dust and debris intake
- Large, efficient sediment filter; sediment collected in clear bowl easily drains through convenient, “no-tools” valve
- Commercial-style carburetor includes additional fuel passages to assure easy starting and smooth operation at a wide range of speeds and loads
- Deep ribs on the cylinder head add strength and increase cooling; precision mating surfaces between the cylinder head and cylinder maximize sealing and torque
- Innovative combustion chamber improves air and fuel flow, resulting in a cleaner burn, reduced emissions and increased horsepower
- Forged crankshaft with dual ball bearings minimizes friction and heat build-up
Reliability is key. On the job site, non-stop performance improves productivity and increases revenue. The new Vanguard single-cylinder engines feature larger ignition coils assuring fast, easy starts and the full skirt rewind allows more airflow, while restricting dirt and debris intake. The airflow generated by the high-capacity fan is 15 percent greater than non-Vanguard engines.
Additional features and benefits targeting reliability standards include:
- Unique engine shroud design directs cool air over the hottest parts of the cylinder block to enhance overall performance and engine functionality
- Intake, fan and exhaust noise is minimized to best-in-class levels
- Motorsports proven rod/dipper design efficiently improves oil flow throughout the engine, assuring maximum protection of component parts
- Oil sensor automatically shuts down the engine in low oil situations, a safeguard that greatly extends engine life
About Briggs & Stratton® Commercial Power
Briggs & Stratton® Commercial Power is a leading provider of commercial power solutions. The Vanguard engine family is the company’s premier line of engines and includes single-cylinder engines from 2.4 to 15 gross horsepower, Vanguard V-Twin horizontal and vertical engines from 14 to 23 gross horsepower, and Vanguard air-cooled V-Twin BIG BLOCK engines from 25 to 35 gross horsepower (horizontal) and 28-36 gross horsepower (vertical). All Briggs & Stratton Commercial Power engines are backed by a network of thousands of Authorized Commercial Service Centers worldwide. For more information on the BIG BLOCK air-cooled V-twin engines, or any engines in the Vanguard commercial engine line from Briggs & Stratton Commercial Power, visit http://www.vanguardengines.com.
# # #