Northampton, MA (PRWEB) February 19, 2010
Happiness is not for the lucky few--it's a choice anyone can make. On March 16, James Baraz will lecture on his groundbreaking first book, written with Shoshana Alexander, AWAKENING JOY: 10 Steps That Will Put You On the Road to Real Happiness (Bantam Books). The public is invited to attend from 7:30-9pm at Lyman Hall, First Churches, 129 Main Street in Northampton, Massachusetts. A donation of $7-$20 is suggested, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
Baraz, cofounder of Spirit Rock Meditation Center and renowned meditation teacher for more than 30 years, will present his program, based on the curriculum of his popular "Awakening Joy" course, for how people can reorient our minds away from dissatisfaction and distraction and toward the contentment and delight that is abundantly available in their everyday lives.
Many people look outside of themselves to explain their happiness or suffering, but Baraz says that they can decide to be happy. For years, his "Awakening Joy" course has offered participants from around the world the benefits of this simple but profoundly radical proposition.
In AWAKENING JOY, Baraz and Alexander show how each individual can access the switch inside them and live life with greater joy. Filled with engaging exercises and practical advice to make happiness a natural default setting and grounded in Buddhist principles--though accessible to people of all faiths or no faith at all--the book takes readers step-by-step through cultivating behaviors and attitudes that bring well-being into their lives. From resetting their minds toward happier thoughts, to learning to be present in the moment, this practical down-to-earth guide teaches readers how to:
- Make happiness a habit by inclining the mind toward states that lead to well-being;
- Find joy even during difficult times and avoid the pitfalls that prevent people from achieving the contentment they seek;
- Cultivate effective practices for sustaining joyfulness, such as reclaiming a natural sense of wonder and finding joy and gratitude in the midst of everyday experiences;
- Choose words to remember their intention to be happy when making decisions about how to think or act;
- Learn to let go--of change, of obsessions with material objects, of crowded schedules, of confining stories--to gain a greater sense of well-being and joy in everyday life.
With AWAKENING JOY, any reader will find it easy to begin the revolutionary journey to embrace happiness and well-being, and embark on a path to an enriching, meaningful, positive view of life.
This event is a fundraiser for the Insight Meditation Center of Pioneer Valley. Serving Western Massachusetts, Insight PV is a non-residential Buddhist retreat center in the Theravadin Buddhist tradition. We offer drop-in sittings, classes and day-long retreats. Our mission is to share the Buddha's teaching of liberation with all those who are interested.
The Insight Meditation Center of Pioneer Valley is located in Easthampton, Massachusetts. Find out more at http://www.insightpv.org.
# # #