(PRWEB) February 24, 2010
Now in its 11th year, the benchmark study which evaluated 58 leading UK retail websites for website usability revealed that M&S was the top overall performer on the strength of its clear and detailed product pages and market-leading telephone support service. Established high-street brands also scored highly including Boots, HMV and New Look, while pure-play provider asos, which topped the rankings for its world-class product pages, search and browse, shopping basket and email service, fell short on its telephone contact service.
Michelle Fuller, co-founder and director of eDigitalResearch comments: “If we removed telephone contact from our benchmark study, asos would have been a clear online winner. However, our benchmark study looks at the entire end to end customer journey both on and offline. Telephone contact is a key driver of overall satisfaction. . This is where established bricks and mortar retailers have the upper-hand as their businesses have evolved from personal customer relations, while pure ecommerce sites such as asos entire business concept is built on online self-service.”
Pure play providers scored better than multiple channel retailers for product pages, search and browse and navigation and even scored highly for delivery. In fact, despite the bad weather and busy Christmas rush, 20 retailers achieved an 100% delivery record for on-time or early deliveries.
Michelle Fuller says: “Given poor high-street retail sales and adverse weather conditions, online sales have continued to drive the retail sector. It is encouraging to see that delivery has continued to improve across the board and that retailers have managed to navigate the challenges to meet customer expectations.”
Established in 2000, the eRetail Benchmark study uses eDigitalResearch’s unique eMysteryShopper tool to evaluate website usability 58 top performing UK retail websites.
Retailers are benchmarked by an internet panel of surveyors across 200 qualitative and quantitative measures from home page first impressions to order fulfilment.
To download a presentation containing the full leagues for the last study then please visit: https://ecustomeropinions.com/survey/survey.php?sid=465281795
For further information, contact Natalie Lyndon on 023 8021 5389, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
- eDigitalResearch has the largest ‘norms’ database across the retail sector and is able to offer clients and the market a unique view of what ecommerce shoppers are looking for from an eretail site.
- eDigitalResearch has been undertaking ‘end to end’ eMysteryShopper surveys on the top UK Internet retail sites since Christmas 2000.
- With its in-depth research it can benchmark and plot the development of retail websites over the last ten years.
- As a result it has an unprecedented level of knowledge, expertise and research data covering the development of some of the top UK internet retail sites.
- eMysteryShopper (eMS) provides in-depth and structured study of website usability, functionality, supporting logistics and customer service through our unique panel of profiled UK Internet users. Working under strict Non Disclosure Agreements these profiled individuals are paid to complete ‘end to end’ surveys on selected websites.
- eDigitalResearch currently works with over 10,000 profiled UK eMysteryShoppers (surveyors) carrying out end to end usability studies on over 55 sites at any one time. Surveyors all complete strict assessment criteria and operate under stringent quality control and ongoing survey moderation.
eDigitalResearch is a leading provider of digital market research, enabling customers to make critical business decisions with the benefit of comprehensive consumer insight and informed direction. eDigitalResearch possesses a unique combination of research expertise, marketing background, web technology and knowledge of the cross-channel consumer. As well as providing invaluable research data, the modules of our fully integrated research system - ratings, surveys, panels, communities and forums - can combine to provide holistic analytics and essential market-leading insight. This gives our clients the power, confidence and backup to make crucial decisions on key aspects of their business including product range, marketing, customer service, supply chain, even basic positioning. http://www.edigitalresearch.com