"We think this research will provide valuable information and insights to both marketers and developers, especially over the long term, where developing trends can be identified and factored into key business decisions,” said Myk Willis, CEO of Myxer.
Miami, FL (PRWEB) February 26, 2010
When it comes to what mobile platform is most popular by users in a particular region, the results may surprise you. According to BoomBox, Myxer’s monthly report on mobile entertainment consumption habits, iPhone dominates states across the country, but Android users have closed the gap and have actually surpassed iPhone users in eight states, with seven of them coming from West and Midwest states including Arizona, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming.
The results were provided by Myxer’s BoomBox report for January 2010, which also revealed the latest demographic and consumption habits based on more than one million unique Myxer users from Android and iPhone operating systems.
Android Handset Demographics and Consumption Habits
Of particular interest in this month’s BoomBox report was a breakdown of content downloads by music genre:
- Overall, Motorola DROID handsets were the most diverse in terms of downloading different genre types, consuming 64% of their content from the Rock, Comedy, Pop, Country, and Other categories.
- Conversely, 81% of downloads by the HTC Dream (G1) came from the Hip-Hop/R&B genre; the highest percentage of Hip-Hop/R&B downloads by any Android handset on Myxer.
BoomBox also compared Android handset breakdown in terms of age and consumption habits, where it was revealed that the average woman downloaded more mobile entertainment than the average man across every single Android device, and that Android traffic skews older than the average audience profile seen downloading mobile entertainment from Myxer.
Handset preference by gender was also a major surprise with Google’s Nexus One being the most popular device among men of all the Android Handsets, with 75% of registered Myxer users being male. In contrast, the Samsung Behold II and the HTC myTouch both comprise the largest percentage of female users on Myxer, with 67% of users on each handset being female.
Specific to individual Android handsets, BoomBox revealed that:
- Google’s Nexus One has the largest percentage (54%) of users over the age of 24.
- Users on the Samsung Behold II handset initiate the largest number of downloads of any of the Android handsets, consuming an average of 14 pieces of content per month per user.
- Android users browsing the mobile web on the Motorola DROID consume the least amount of mobile entertainment, with the average user consuming four pieces of content per month.
- HTC’s Dream is the handset of choice for the younger demographic with 57% of the downloads Myxer sees from HTC Dream handset being initiated from users who are between the age of 18 and 24. This is also the largest percentage of users in this age demographic on any Android device on Myxer.
“For this month’s BoomBox report, we conducted a deep dive into our Android user base in hopes of uncovering regional, demographic, and consumption trends across users on the most popular handsets. We think this research will provide valuable information and insights to both marketers and developers, especially over the long term, where developing trends can be identified and factored into key business decisions,” said Myk Willis, CEO of Myxer.
Since 2005 Myxer has cataloged various data points: age, gender, geographic location, phone model, manufacturer, carrier, as well as the operating system of each handset that initiated a download from its delivery platform that now supports more than seven million monthly unique visitors downloading over 90 million content items from Myxer each month.
To download a copy of the full report, or subscribe to the monthly newsletter, please visit: boombox.myxer.com.
Founded in 2005, Myxer has become a go-to consumer destination for mobile entertainment and personalization- with one of the world’s largest catalogs of ringtones, wallpapers, videos, applications and games. At http://www.myxer.com there are no hidden costs, no subscription fees and no surprises. For content providers and consumers, Myxer’s mobile platform enables radically simple and quick delivery of content. And for advertisers, Myxer offers a variety of high-impact offerings across the web and mobile web, including the ability to deliver branded content. Named a Top Wireless Company in 2009 by FierceWireless, as well as Best Music Service at the 2008 Mobile Entertainment Forum and Best Consumer Messaging Application at the Global Messaging Awards 2008, Myxer’s unique solutions continue to capture global and national attention. To learn more and see some of the exciting applications, go to demo.myxer.com.
Eric Gonzalez 415.272.0836