Manahawkin, NJ (PRWEB) March 10, 2010
Senior citizens account for 50 percent of the residential moves currently on the housing market, and moving firms such as New Jersey mover, BD Movers of Manahawkin, offers senior services for seniors moving into downsized living quarters.
“Reducing the amount of furnishings and personal items can be a daunting task, but with the proper preparation and moving firm, a senior move can be completed in a timely, stress-free fashion,” says Tony Baumer, owner of BD Movers, a board member with the New Jersey Warehouse and Movers Association.
With a 21-year track record in the moving and storage industry, BD Movers offers senior citizens advice and complete references from handy men, to charities, even CPA’s and elder lawyers. A senior move can be daunting, but with the correct planning and strategy, downsizing is another step in the life process, adds Baumer.
Senior Move Advice, The Basics of Senior Downsizing
- Create senior downsizing task list one to three months in advance.
- Get the family involved in the senior move. If you need help, consider hiring a senior move manager.
- Designate items that will be moved, sold or given away. Decide on the item the senior will want to keep, and will fit into the new senior home.
- Be prepared to provide list of inventory to mover, including any legal documentation, regarding power of attorney, etc. if applicable. For instance - if the children are handling the senior moving details, they should show they have authority to do so.
- Sell what you can at auction, online or a yard sale. Some items may have value that can help defray senior moving expenses.
- Donate the rest to reputable charity. Keep receipts for senior tax purposes. If the furniture is still in good condition, a senior’s sofa or dining room table may be a godsend to a family that needs furniture.
- A senior move is not a "self move. A senior move takes the efforts of many people, family and professionals, to make it go smoothly.
- To save on cost, pack as much as the senior and their family can do themselves. A mover will provide this service, but packing items is the simplest way to save cost for the senior move.
- If the senior moving is in their 80's, and their children are in their 60's, carrying heavy furniture should be designated as a senior moving service. Use the movers for heavy items and let family members move lamps and pictures.
BD Movers is a premier New Jersey moving firm serving New Jersey Shore points from Manahawkin, Long Beach Island, Toms River, Asbury Park to Cape May, and inland, from Princeton, Trenton, and north central Jersey.
With more than 21 year’s experience. BD Movers takes pride in moving valued clients, whether residential, commercial or institutional, to new destinations across town, over state lines, or around the world.
Visit BD Movers at http://www.BDMovers.com, or the senior page at http://www.bdmovers.com/seniors-moving-nj.php).
Follow BD Movers on Twitter.com @njmovingguy or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/bdmovers. For more information, call BD Movers at 800-310-0912.
Press only contact is Tina Bradford at 610-248-3460.