Mount Laurel, NJ (PRWEB) March 11, 2010
During National Poison Prevention Week, March 14 – 20, 2010, professional pet sitters across the nation are issuing an appeal for pet owners to conduct a comprehensive safety examination of their home to protect their pets from accidental poisoning.
“Many household pets are naturally curious creatures,” explains Monica Leighton, President of the National Association of Professional Pet Sitters (NAPPS). “While great care is taken to create a safe environment for the family, many are not as comprehensive with their furry family member. We believe it’s vitally important for pet owners to become educated on dangerous substances to create a safe environment and prevent accidents for each household member.”
To create a pet-friendly home, NAPPS encourages pet owners to conduct a room-by-room safety examination and recommends the following tips for each room of the house:
- Kitchen – Ensure that all food is in secure containers, and only feed pet food to your pet. Even small amounts of food such as grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, xylitol (artificial sweetener found in gum and other foods) and chocolate can be dangerous to your pet. Purchase a garbage can with a heavy, secure lid.
- Living Area – While plants can seem harmless, some plants contain toxic substances. Consult with your veterinarian before purchasing a new household plant.
- Bathroom – Keep all medications in original, safety top containers, personal care products in a medicine cabinet, and cleaning supplies in a secure location. Install child-proof cabinet devices to prevent pets from opening cabinet doors.
- Bedroom – Under-the-bed storage space can be great for keeping last season’s sweaters out of sight, but do not use the space to store toxic substances. Examine the room for perfume, medicine, or personal care items and store them in drawers or boxes.
- Laundry Room – Keep laundry detergent and supplies in tightly closed, original containers.
- Garage – Bug spray, weed killer, paint, charcoal, gasoline, and antifreeze can be fatal for your pet. Store these items in a locked cabinet or box to prevent your pet from accidental ingestion.
If your pet ingests substances you suspect are poisonous, NAPPS encourages pet owners to contact their veterinarian or animal hospital immediately. When bringing your pet into the clinic, bring the substance with you so the veterinarian can know how to best treat your pet.
About NAPPS: NAPPS is a national non-profit trade association dedicated to promoting the welfare of animals. The Association aims to help the pet owning public, those interested in pet sitting, and professionals engaged in the in-home pet care industry by fulfilling its vision statement, “To be the most respected authority in professional pet sitting.” It does so by providing the tools and support to foster the success of its members. Additionally, pet owners can benefit from NAPPS’ free resources including a disaster preparedness guide, tips on how to select a pet sitter, nationwide referral service, and quarterly teleconferences aimed to educate the pet owning public. To find a pet sitter in your area, check out NAPPS’ nationwide “Pet Sitter Locator” at http://www.petsitters.org. For more information on NAPPS, please follow @TheNAPPS on Twitter or become a fan on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TheNAPPS.