The new version of Northern Storage Suite efficiently constrains the massive growth of user data and aligns the value of data with the cost of storage, extending the life of storage infrastructure.
Tampa, FL (PRWEB) March 22, 2010
NORTHERN, global providers of flexible, easy-to-administer solutions for User Data Management, today announces the release of Northern Storage Suite 8.5, featuring several major new additions and enhancements to provide complete control over even the most complex enterprise environments. The faster, more scalable 8.5 version offers identification of aging data over time, enabling administrators to see percentages of seldom used or modified files per host, volume, share, and user. This broadens the new version’s support for HSM-managed environments, enabling organizations to further maximize their ROI in HSM technology. Indeed, one of the chief objectives in the new release is to facilitate the easy integration and central management of an organization’s full complement of storage technologies.
“The new version of Northern Storage Suite addresses a central business challenge that today’s over-extended system administrators all face: efficiently constraining massive data growth, aligning the value of data with the cost of storage and extending the life of storage infrastructure”, says Thomas Vernersson, CEO of Northern. “A recent report found that only 35% of files are ever re-opened after creation. With the new version of our suite, administrators can perform a quick probe to identify files that are infrequently accessed or used, and through integration with their existing HSM technology, have them moved to less-expensive storage devices, while business critical files are maintained on the organization’s top level, high-availability storage devices. Combined with performance enhancements via the new multi-threaded scanning engine, Northern Storage Suite 8.5 is a significant new release and an indispensable tool delivering cost-effective enterprise-wide user data management.”
Aging Data: Discern Aging Data Trends for Storage Policies
The suite’s storage reporting component now offers administrators both quick and deep visibility into aging data, enabling them to identify outdated or unused files wherever they may reside. Administrators can identify and compare the amount of data that hasn’t been accessed or modified within customizable time intervals, i.e., the last 2 years; with another interval, i.e., within the last 30 days. So, in addition to managing user data based on user thresholds, data distributed across volumes and file types, administrators can see percentages of seldom used or modified files per host, volume, share, and user within specified time periods.
Maximize ROI in HSM Through Managing User Data
The new version of the suite is designed to centralize an organization’s core storage management technologies, beginning with its Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) aware Quota Policies and HSM support in the Reporter GUI. Northern Storage Suite 8.5 allows administrators to set quotas to control multiple tiers of storage or only the primary layer, allowing them to easily identify and move “dated” data to less expensive or secondary storage while identifying and moving frequently accessed files to more expensive storage, i.e., Fibre Channel storage. The suite will address the full cycle of HSM, from clearly showing the potential savings of implementing an HSM solution, via providing the possibility to tuning the implemented policies using real data, to finally measuring the efficiency of the HSM implementation. This gives administrators the ability to correlate the value of data to the value of the storage device, and maximize their ROI on HSM technology.
Faster, More Scalable: 2-5 Times Faster Scanning
Northern Storage Suite 8.5 also introduces next-generation scanning technology, providing robust, multi-threaded file monitoring and more precise resource utilization. The engine automatically resumes scans from the point they’ve been suspended or interrupted (i.e., for system troubleshooting or maintenance) without losing data that has already been collected.
What's New in Northern Storage Suite 8.5:
- Enhanced Storage Reporter with Aging Data: Administrators can immediately identify the amount of data that hasn’t been accessed/modified in the last 2 years, or the amount of data created in the last 30 days. Administrators see percentages of seldom used or modified files per host, volume, share, and user; they can easily identify where stale data resides and archive it out of the primary file system.
- Next-Generation Scanning Engine: Administrators can spawn multiple scanning threads; precisely throttle the resource utilization of Northern Storage Suite and resume stalled scans without losing data that has already been collected. Data collection is up to five times faster than in previous versions of the suite.
- Dynamic Reporter Interface: Users can choose list or graphical display, select which column to sort on and how to sort, and view in bytes or dynamic units. The customizable interface remembers all user choices.
- HSM-Aware Quota Policies: Quota policies are most commonly set on logical file sizes; this new feature will allow policies to be calculated and enforced on usage according to physical file sizes, offering HSM-aware quota policies.
- HSM Support in Reporter GUI: Administrators can choose to view usage according to both logical and physical size, identify usage across HSM tiers and expose stub files.
- Real-time Quota and File Block Editing: Quota paths and path exclusion rules can now be added, removed, or modified in a live quota. Administrators can also change File Block policies on-the-fly.
NSS is priced per host and capacity. Find your local reseller on http://www.northern.net
Northern is an international software company specializing in the development of reliable, flexible and easy to use solutions for storage management. Northern Storage Suite breaks Storage Resource Management down into four goals; to identify and reclaim wasted storage capacity, control user behavior, plan for future storage needs and make the end-users a part of the storage solution. World-wide over 28,000 organizations and more than half of the companies on Fortune Global 100 use Northern software to bring control and order to their storage environments.
The company serves a global market through its five bases of operations, United States [Tampa, FL], Sweden [Stockholm], France [Paris], United Kingdom [London], and Italy [Turin]. Northern Storage Suite is available through resellers worldwide, authorized distributors and from Northern directly. Customers in North America should contact Northern [U.S. Operations] at 1.800.881.4950 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Customers in other parts of the world should visit Northern's Reseller page on http://www.northern.net to find their local Northern software supplier, or contact Northern [European Operations] at +46 8 457 50 00.