The insurer estimated there were about 120 reversing mishaps a day in Queensland
(PRWEB) March 23, 2010
NRMA Insurance is urging Queensland drivers to take extra care after claims research showed more than one in five collisions happened when reversing*.
The Queensland car insurance provider also found men were more confident when it came to reverse parking but women actually had fewer reversing collisions.
A survey of 500 Queensland drivers found nearly 60 per cent of men were very confident when it came to reverse parking, compared to less than a quarter of women**. However, NRMA Insurance claims data showed female drivers had fewer collisions when backing into a parking space.
NRMA Insurance Corporate Affairs Manager Sue Hawkins said all Queensland drivers needed to take care when reversing.
‘Pause, check your rear-view mirror and look over their shoulder as a final step before reversing to avoid any unnecessary collisions,’ she said.
‘We’re also pleased to see more cars with reversing cameras and sensors which can help us check blind spots and judge distance better.’
The insurer estimated there were about 120 reversing mishaps a day in Queensland^, and around 13 per cent of those involved reverse parking.
NRMA Insurance offers the following tips to drivers when reversing:
- Be alert at all times and watch out for other cars;
- Go slow and don't just rely on your mirrors - look over your shoulder as well;
- Car technology, such as cameras and sensors, can help when reversing but drivers still need to be aware of what is around them;
- Treat your driveway like a road, checking thoroughly for pedestrians and cars.
- Based on NRMA Insurance motor comprehensive claims data sourced in February 2010 for the period of January to December 2009.
** Pure Profile Research, February 2010.
^ Figure extrapolated from NRMA Insurance reversing claims data and market share.
NRMA Insurance QLD is a leading insurance provider, offering car insurance quotes, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, travel insurance, business insurance, boat insurance, health insurance and caravan insurance in Queensland.