San Francisco (PRWEB) March 23, 2010
OpenDNS, provider of the world’s leading Internet navigation and security services that make networks safer, faster, smarter and more reliable, today announced that its users now represent a full one percent of all 1.67 billion global Internet users online today. The total OpenDNS user count has now surpassed 18 million, according to leading analytics firm Quantcast, doubling in just 12 months.
“We see this milestone as incredibly significant, and a true testament to both the unmatched quality of the OpenDNS service and the world’s demand for a better DNS service,” said OpenDNS Founder and CEO David Ulevitch. “One percent of all of the world’s Internet users is a momentous achievement and our growth rate indicates that number will climb at an even more rapid pace going forward.”
He continued, “As awareness about the importance of DNS security broadens, OpenDNS is proud to be the clear trailblazer and innovator in our space.”
Squarely focused on improving the Internet, OpenDNS was launched in July 2006 with the sole aim of providing a DNS service far superior to what was available at the time from Internet Service Providers. In addition to providing the fastest and most reliable DNS available, the service has grown in functionality and today provides an array of navigation, security and Web content filtering services.
Notable OpenDNS Inventions and Accomplishments:
- PhishTank, the world’s largest Anti-Phishing project, providing data about known phishing Web sites to Yahoo! Mail, Mozilla, McAfee and more that those organizations then use to keep their users safe online.
- CacheCheck, the first-ever tool that allows Internet users to manually refresh DNS caches.
- SmartCache, an intelligent caching system that makes Web sites that are effectively down for others accessible only on OpenDNS.
- IdeaBank, a part of the OpenDNS Community that empowers users to suggest new OpenDNS features. The best ideas are then executed.
- OpenDNS Deluxe and OpenDNS Enterprise, subscription-based services designed with the DNS and Web content filtering needs of SMBs and enterprises in mind.
OpenDNS Users Include:
- More than 25,000 schools, including many of the U.S.’s largest school districts.
- Millions of households, including those where parents are looking to keep their children safe online.
- Fortune 500 enterprises around the world.
Note: Data about total Internet users compiled using numbers from various sources, including comScore.
OpenDNS is the world's leading provider of Internet navigation and security services that make networks safer, faster, smarter and more reliable. Through DNS resolution, cloud-based Web content filtering and security services, OpenDNS empowers millions of households, schools and businesses to control how users navigate the Internet on their network, while dramatically increasing the network's overall performance and reliability. For more information about OpenDNS, please visit: http://www.opendns.com