“We conducted this survey because we wanted to find out how this new law impacts health insurance agents and how the agents thought the law would impact the market.”
St. Cloud, MN (PRWEB) March 25, 2010
Eighty-eight percent of health insurance agents believe the new health reform law will increase premiums in the group health market according to a survey taken this week by HSA Resources, LLC, a leading provider of Health Savings Accounts. “We conducted this survey because we wanted to find out how this new law impacts health insurance agents and how the agents thought the law would impact the market,” explains Whitney Johnson, legal counsel for HSA Resources.
Role of the Insurance Agent.
Sixty-five percent of insurance agents believe the role of the insurance agent will decrease because of the new law (24% significantly decrease). “Reading through the substantial number of comments, my understanding is that most agents believe the role of the new insurance exchanges will reduce the role of the agent,” explains Mr. Johnson. Nineteen percent believe the role will increase. “A smaller group of responses; however, indicated the new complexity and requirements to buy insurance may increase the role of the agent,” he added. “Many of the write-in comments were very strongly opposed to the law with a common theme being the law does not adequately address costs,” stated Mr. Johnson.
Other key findings include:
- 58% of agents surveyed believe their overall sales will decrease
- 49% believe that their sales in the individual market will decrease
- 63% believe that their sales in the group market will decrease
- 87% percent of health insurance agents oppose the new health care law.
- 8% support the new law and 5% neither support nor oppose.
Impact on Individuals and Groups.
The survey also inquired into the how the new law will impact consumers of health insurance.
- 92% believe the new law will increase insurance premiums in the individual market
- 82% believe the new law will negatively impact their customers’ health insurance
- 74% believe the new law will negatively impact their customers’ overall health care
HSA Resources is a nationwide provider of Health Savings Accounts and sent this survey to over 1,000 health insurance agents.
To see the complete results of the survey, please visit http://www.HSAresources.com and click on the “Health Agents” tab in the middle of the page.
About HSA Resources, LLC
Founded in 2005, HSA Resources, LLC is a nationwide provider of Health Savings Accounts dedicated to making HSAs conveniently available to as many Americans as possible. HSA Resources partners with health insurance agents to promote and educate on the benefits of HSAs.
866.757.4727, ext 4