Orlando, FL (PRWEB) March 25, 2010
Today Voxeo announced the worldwide launch of its Tropo cloud communications API. Tropo extends web applications to easily drive communications via Twitter, telephone, text messaging (SMS) and instant messaging (IM). For example, service providers can write a web application enabling customers to check account balances, and use Tropo to extend the application to let customers check the same balance by phone, Twitter, SMS or IM.
New Tropo features include:
- Twitter support - Assign a Twitter name to an application and users can interact with the application by simply sending a Twitter message to that name. The app will see all messages to the Twitter account and can take action on messages that are received. Applications can be set up to do customer support over Twitter and web applications can be enabled to service Twitter users. It's simple to do and secured by OAuth.
- SMS support - The exact same phone number developers use to call their application can also be used to receive inbound SMS messages. Plus, the application can generate outbound SMS messages, connecting the application to millions of mobile users.
- IM/Chat - Add IM accounts to an application and communicate via AOL's AIM, Yahoo!Messenger, Microsoft's Live Messenger, GoogleTalk or any XMPP or Jabber IM service.
- International Phone Access - No longer are developers limited to phone numbers in North America. Tropo now supports calls from and to anywhere in the world. Local Phone numbers are now available in over 30 different countries.
- International Speech Output - Tropo now supports extremely natural voice synthesis (text-to-speech) in eight languages, including US English, UK English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Mexican Spanish or Castilian Spanish.
- International Speech Input - Tropo now supports highly accurate voice recognition (speech-to-text) in the same eight languages, so callers can use either their voice or touchtone keys to interact with Tropo applications.
- One click deployment - After developing an application it is literally one click to move it into production. No contracts, no calls into a salesperson. Simply go into the web management interface and flip the switch. Tropo is always completely free for developer use with no time limits or credits to track. You choose when you're ready for production.
- New REST/JSON Web API - Beyond the hosted scripting Tropo has always offered, now host the application on your own web server, write it in whatever language you choose and communicate through our RESTful web API using JSON.
Tropo is run by Voxeo Labs, the innovation and incubation arm of Voxeo Corporation. Voxeo is the most widely used platform of its kind in the world, with over 100,000 registered developers and applications deployed to over half of the Fortune 500. For more information please visit Tropo at http://www.tropo.com.
Voxeo unlocks communications. We loathe the locks that make voice, SMS, instant messaging, Twitter, web chat, and mobile web unified communication and self-service applications difficult to create, manage, analyze, optimize and afford. Every day we work to unlock the neglected value of these communications solutions with open standards, disruptive innovation and a passion for problem solving--fueled by a company-wide obsession with customer success. We do so for more than 100,000 developers, 45,000 companies and half of the Fortune 100 from our headquarters in Orlando, Beijing, Cologne, and London. Visit us or join our conversations on the web at http://www.voxeo.com, blogs.voxeo.com, or twitter.com/voxeo.