Our claims data shows that technology items continue to be targeted by burglars as they are popular
(PRWEB) April 2, 2010
SGIC Home Insurance is reminding SA residents about home security this Easter holiday break, with research revealing that digital cameras top a thief’s wishlist*.
Other popular items with thieves were televisions, MP3 players, laptops and jewellery.
SGIC spokesperson Emily Gatt said with many households away this Easter long weekend, we want to remind people to lock up their home and valuables.
‘Our claims data shows that technology items continue to be targeted by burglars as they are popular, portable and easy to pawn.
‘It always disappoints us when we see people create opportunities for thieves by not securing their home properly.
‘We encourage everyone to always lock up, regardless of whether you are away for five minutes or the Easter long weekend. Thieves only need a few minutes to break-in and steal your valuables.
‘We also recommend households have Home Contents Insurance so their items are covered,’
Ms Gatt said.
SGIC Home Insurance recommends the following home security tips:
- Lock the house every time you go out;
- If you are going on holidays, ask a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your house, collect mail and newspapers;
- Don’t leave tell-tale packaging for big ticket items – tear it up and put it in the recycling bin;
- Keep your home looking lived in with open blinds and timer switches on lights;
- Never leave a message on your answering machine saying you are not home;
- Keep your car keys safe and not in any obvious places – burglars could steal your car;
- Secure garages and garden sheds and remove valuables from your garden.
The top ten items stolen from SA homes in 2009:
1 Digital Cameras
4 MP3 players
6 Jewellery (other than watches, rings, necklaces)
7 Sunglasses / Glasses
10 Adult clothes and shoes
*Based on SGIC Home Contents claims data sourced in February 2010 for the Financial Year 2008 - 09.
SGIC is a leading insurance provider, offering car insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, travel insurance, business insurance, boat insurance, health insurance and caravan insurance in South Australia.