The combination of procedures that each mom needs depends on their age, genetics and how parts of their body have aged due to pregnancy
Paramus, NJ (Vocus) April 8, 2010
The term Mommy Makeover has really taken off in the cosmetic surgery field. It is an umbrella term for a series of procedures to correct problems caused by pregnancy. "The ravages of pregnancy can take on a variety of forms," says New Jersey plastic surgeon, Dr. Paul M. Parker of the Parker Center in Paramus, NJ.
This is why the consultation is so important in determining what is bothering each mom and addressing those concerns with the right procedures. The three most common surgeries are breast surgery, tummy tuck and liposuction.
The various forms breast surgery can take in a mommy makeover:
- Breast augmentation--after pregnancy and breast feeding have engorged and stretched the breasts, many women will lose volume in their breasts, particularly the upper portion of the breasts. A New Jersey breast augmentation can restore this lost volume and provide some lift to the breast.
Breast augmentation and lift - after pregnancy and breast feeding have engorged and stretched the breasts, some women will lose volume in their breasts and the breasts will sag significantly. Breast augmentation can restore this lost volume. In addition to this, the loose, sagging skin can be tightened with a breast lift procedure (also known as augmentation mastopexy) returning the breasts to a perkier, more youthful position on the chest.
- Breast lift alone-after pregnancy and breast feeding have engorged and stretched the breasts, some women will retain volume in their breasts but the breasts will sag significantly. A New Jersey breast lift alone (also known as mastopexy) will tighten the loose, sagging skin and return the breasts to a perkier, more youthful position on the chest.
- Breast Reduction with lift- after pregnancy and breast feeding have engorged and stretched the breasts, some women will gain volume instead of losing it. This can cause back pain, neck pain and leave them uncomfortable. Breast reduction reduces the volume of the breast by removing the excess tissue and skin. In performing a breast reduction, the breast is also lifted to a perkier, more youthful position on the chest.
The various forms a tummy tuck can take in a mommy makeover:
- Liposuction- Some moms retain a lot of excess fatty pockets around the mid-section after the weight gain of pregnancy, but retain good skin and muscle tone. In these patients, liposuction alone will allow Dr. Parker to contour the abdomen.
- Mini tuck- This is for the mom who develops some loose skin and loose muscles in the lower part of the abdomen. A mini tuck allows Dr. Parker to remove the excess skin and tighten these lower abdominal muscles; if there are excess fatty pockets, these can be treated with liposuction at the same time (mini lipo abdominoplasty).
- Lipo abdominoplasty or tummy tuck- This is for the mom who has developed significant excess skin, fatty pockets and loose abdominal muscles. Dr. Parker uses VASER liposuction in conjunction with a tummy tuck procedure to remove unwanted fat, tighten loose muscle and remove loose skin.
Liposuction may be needed in different areas of the body for women who retain excess fat following pregnancy. Dr. Parker will commonly re shape the hips, thighs, buttocks, arms, back and/ or neck. Patients vary in terms of who will retain fat in these different areas.
“The combination of procedures that each mom needs depends on their age, genetics and how parts of their body have aged due to pregnancy,” says Dr. Parker. “One mom may need a breast augmentation and a mini-tuck while another mom may need a breast lift with implants, lipo abdominoplasty and liposuction of her hips and thighs. There are quite a number of possible combinations.”
In recent years, facial procedures have become more popular with moms. Over time, the effects of weight gain and loss after pregnancy can accelerate facial aging prompting these patients to seek face and neck lifts. Of course, some moms requesting these procedures are in their 50s and 60s and they want their face to match their younger-looking body.
New Jersey plastic surgeon, Dr. Parker, performs all of his mommy makeovers in his state-of-the-art on site, fully certified ambulatory surgical facility. Here, his experienced team of board certified anesthesiologists and registered nurses have worked tirelessly with him to ensure a safe and comfortable environment.
Many moms voice concerns about taking time away from their families to undergo and recover from these mommy makeover surgical procedures. The Parker Center’s Rapid Recovery program allows these patients to recover quickly, minimizing the pain associated with these surgeries.
As patients recover from mommy makeover surgeries, not only do they look great but emotionally, they feel younger with more energy, sexy and more self confident. Those who have put these procedures off for years will often say “If I had known I would look and feel this good, I would have done this sooner”.
About Dr. Paul M. Parker
Dr. Paul M. Parker, M.D. graduated from George Washington University of Medicine in Washington, DC, where he was the recipient of the distinguished CV Mosby Award of Excellence. He completed residencies in both General Surgery and Plastic Surgery at New York University Medical Center, where he received the Theodore Barnett Award for Excellence in Teaching. He also completed a fellowship in Microsurgery at New York University Medical Center’s Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery with heavy emphasis on innovative methods of breast reconstruction.
Dr. Parker is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He holds a certificate of advanced education in cosmetic surgery. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, and the New Jersey Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Additionally, he has been selected as one of the top surgeons in his field by Consumer’s Research Council of America and has been named in Castle Connolly’s registry of “Americas Cosmetic Doctors” He has also served as Assistant Clinical Professor of Plastic Surgery at New York University Medical Center.
About The Parker Center
Located in Paramus, New Jersey, the Parker Center is a 15,000 square foot facility boasting an AAAASF and Medicare certified surgical center and state of the art medi-spa. The Parker Center for Plastic Surgery prides itself on enhancing their patient’s lives through individualized support and impeccable attention to detail.
# # #