Plans to add to staff in the next three months have increased at 65% of vendors, 60% of law firms, and 35% of corporations.
New York (PRWEB) April 15, 2010
Proper handling of electronic information during litigation remains a critical challenge for law firms and corporations. The Cowen Group, a leading provider of staffing services and information for the legal technology sector, completed its Q1 Critical Trends Survey on Tuesday, collecting responses from managers of 78 AmLaw Litigation Support Departments, 47 Corporate eDiscovery Departments, and 37 vendor service providers.
The Cowen Group’s survey revealed four key trends:
- Staff Hours have increased since Q4 2009 at 61% of law firms, 51% of vendors, and 35% of corporations.
- Workloads from new cases have increased since Q4 2009 at 65% of law firms, 46% of vendors, and 22% of corporations.
- Workloads from existing cases have increased since Q4 2009 at 47% of law firms, 38% of vendors, and 17% of corporations.
- Plans to add to staff in the next three months have increased at 65% of vendors, 60% of law firms, and 35% of corporations.
This survey reinforces the growing demand for Project Managers, Regional Managers and eDiscovery Attorneys, which are critical to the continued evolution of the industry. Project Managers are gaining greater prominence in the industry due to the increasing size of datasets and heightened concern around controlling costs, limiting risks, and guaranteeing outcomes. Regional Managers are also increasingly important as departments become more mature. Another important role is the eDiscovery Attorney which is emerging as a leader in many eDiscovery departments. This role requires a sound understanding of the law and legal writing skills, hands on experience with eDiscovery and business savvy.
Other key results of the survey include:
- 39% of corporations would consider outsourcing new eDiscovery work, as would 31% of law firms.
- 31% of law firms have plans to insource eDiscovery work in the next 3 months, as are 22% of corporations.
The Cowen Group’s Quarterly Trends Survey is used by large law firms and corporate legal departments alike for strategic planning to help their long-term technical and human needs. The survey has gained a reputation within the industry for its accuracy due to the high participation rate it receives.
The Q1 Critical Trends Survey can be accessed here.
About The Cowen Group
Since 2004, The Cowen Group has been regarded as the premier executive search firm among eDiscovery and legal technology professionals. The firm accesses the most experienced individuals in law firms, corporations and technology providers and work collaboratively with its clients to gain insight into unique organizational structure and requirements. In addition to its professional search and staffing services, it manages a highly acclaimed executive forum series and produces market intelligence through surveys and reports.