Dropping children at school can be a stressful experience - there is often traffic congestion which can lead to drivers being distracted and frustrated.
(PRWEB) April 24, 2010
SGIC Car Insurance is urging all SA drivers to keep their cool when school goes back this week, after research reveals that almost 30 per cent of drivers are getting stressed when dropping off or collecting their children from school*.
The insurer also found that one in five drivers admitted to ignoring parking signs or rules when dropping off or picking up kids from school.
SGIC Car Insurance spokesperson Emily Gatt said we encourage all drivers to stay calm and follow the rules when in school drop-off zones.
‘We understand that everyone leads busy lives, which often means we can run late, however drivers should still make children’s safety a priority and be alert to the increased activity around schools.
‘Dropping children at school can be a stressful experience - there is often traffic congestion which can lead to drivers being distracted and frustrated.
‘Our research also showed us that 50 per cent of people get stressed about the behaviour of other parents and drivers in school drop-off zones.
‘More and more parents and carers drive kids to and from school rather than the child walking so there are a number of cars in the drop-off zones.
‘So we urge all drivers to follow the rules and keep their stress levels down when doing the school run for the safety of the children and their own benefit,’ Ms Gatt said.
SGIC Car Insurance offers some tips to drivers:
- Try and leave home early to avoid the peak school drop-off and collection time;
- Consider car pooling with other drivers to avoid doing the school run five days a week;
- If you have the time, perhaps park away from the school and walk the child;
- If you’re caught in traffic remember to take a deep breath, sit back and enjoy the time – getting frustrated can affect your ability to concentrate on the road.
- Based on Pure Profile Research, October 2009
SGIC is a leading insurance provider, offering car insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, travel insurance, business insurance, boat insurance, health insurance and caravan insurance in South Australia.