Today, with the challenges of the economy weighing heavily on all of our communities, it's more important than ever that we do our part to help support our neighborhoods and schools.
Hollywood, CA (PRWEB) April 30, 2010
Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA and VIA.B), today celebrated its 15th Annual Viacommunity Day, a global employee volunteer and community outreach program. This year, more than 1,400 Paramount employees in 19 countries participated in a range of volunteer activities including beautifying public schools, mentoring students, serving food to homeless and planting gardens in public parks and schools. In Los Angeles, more than 700 employees participated in the daylong program.
"Volunteerism has always been an integral part of Paramount's culture," said Brad Grey, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Paramount Pictures. "Today, with the challenges of the economy weighing heavily on all of our communities, it's more important than ever that we do our part to help support our neighborhoods and schools."
Los Angeles-based employees from all divisions of Paramount Pictures dedicated the day to beautifying and improving six local area public schools that serve more than 3,000 students, in the Hollywood, South Los Angeles and Chinatown communities. Employees of all levels, including senior executive staff, participated in and led a variety of activities including, painting, arts and crafts, planting edible gardens, and grounds landscaping. Employees also participated in reading, music and career mentoring programs.
The 2010 Viacommunity Day sites in Los Angeles included:
- Helen Bernstein High School, 1309 N Wilton Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90028
- Frances Blend Special Education Center, 5210 Clinton St, Los Angeles, CA 90004
- Van Ness Avenue School, 501 N Van Ness Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90004
- Santa Monica Blvd Community Charter School, 1022 North Van Ness, Los Angeles, CA 90038
- John Muir Middle School, 5929 Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90044
- Castelar Elementary School, 840 Yale St., Los Angeles, CA 90012
At Helen Bernstein High School, a team of Paramount senior executives including the Co-Presidents of Domestic Theatrical Marketing and the executive vice presidents of Interactive Marketing Strategy & Film Production, Story Department, Production and worldwide Digital Distribution hosted a "Moviemaking 101" panel. The speakers, who collectively have more than 75 years of experience in the industry, each discussed their roles at Paramount and the path that led them to their current position.
Additionally, Paramount facilitated career-focused "speed meetings" with the high school's arts, media and entertainment students. Studio employees at various stages in their careers working in administration, creative, sales & marketing, studio operations and technology sat with students for three-minutes each to give them a taste of different opportunities in the entertainment industry.
Around the world, on April 14 Paramount employees in 28 international offices also participated in Viacommunity Day activities. Highlights included:
- In Australia, employees took hospitalized children on a field trip to an aquarium, organized a picnic for a homeless shelter, entertained the children at a Ronald McDonald house, walked dogs at animal shelters and served food to volunteer blood donors.
- In the United Kingdom, employees planted gardens at a homeless shelter, hosted screenings and led arts and crafts projects for hospitalized children and their families, planted a bamboo garden at a Wetland Centre and painted a children's activity room at a local history museum.
- In France, employees organized activities for children in a local hospital that included a picnic, movie screening and arts and crafts.
- In Brazil, employees created and furnished a video room at a shelter for children living with HIV/AIDS.
- In Sweden, employees planted an outdoor garden for and hosted a screening at a children's hospital.
- In Japan, employees designed and created children's books to be sent to Cambodia and Afghanistan.
About Paramount Pictures Corporation
Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment, is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The company's labels include Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, MTV Films and Nickelodeon Movies. PPC operations also include Paramount Digital Entertainment, Paramount Famous Productions, Paramount Home Entertainment, Paramount Pictures International, Paramount Licensing Inc., Paramount Studio Group, and Worldwide Television Distribution.