Rancho Cordova, CA (PRWEB) May 11, 2010
Pearson, the global leader in education technology and services, today announced that renowned industry expert, Ken O'Connor, has endorsed the latest version of Pearson's revolutionary online gradebook, PowerTeacher 2.0. Known as "The Grade Doctor," O'Connor is an independent consultant who specializes in issues related to accurate grading methodologies and the effective communication of student achievement. Through books, articles, presentations and workshops, O'Connor helps individuals, schools and districts reform grading methodology to more accurately reflect student learning and improve communication about student achievement.
"PowerTeacher 2.0 supports all of the fundamental tenants of 'Grading for Learning' and does so in a way that is accurate, transparent and easily understood by all stakeholders," said Ken O'Connor. "PowerTeacher 2.0 has a clean, thoughtful design that appropriately supports the use of evidence from both formative and summative assessments in ways that can be quickly mastered by not just a handful of enthusiastic individuals, but virtually all teachers within the school or district."
PowerTeacher 2.0 provides the latest technology for true standards-based grading and combines rich standards functionality with many quick-entry features for teachers. The design ensures teachers can work effectively and efficiently, while taking advantage of best practices in standards-based grading across all types of assignments.
"Having a recognized industry expert like Ken O'Connor endorse PowerTeacher 2.0 further validates our belief that we are truly revolutionizing standards-based grading," said Paul Fletcher, president of the School Systems group of Pearson. "During development, we spent more than 18 months gathering feedback from more than 1,000 teachers as well as the foremost thought leaders in educational technology such as Mr. O'Connor. The result is a toolset designed by teachers, for teachers and one of the fastest growing new applications in educational technology."
PowerTeacher is a revolutionary, web-based classroom management solution designed to meet the evolving needs of today's educator with unparalleled ease-of-use. A wide array of functions facilitates differentiated instruction, formative assessment, discipline management, parent communication and more, all within an elegant user interface designed to ignite widespread and enthusiastic end-user adoption. The latest updates found in PowerTeacher 2.0 include:
- Formative Assessment - With the new Standards Drawer, teachers can quickly and easily enter scores for multiple standards linked to daily assignments directly from the Assignments Scoresheet.
- Summative Assessment - Enables teachers to specify how they would like to determine current achievement of standards, including a tool that allows teachers to specify the number of recent scores to include in the determination of grades and weigh recent scores more heavily than older scores.
- Standards Library - Standards can be quickly linked to assignments within the assignment detail window. The new Standards tab shows the teacher standards that have been associated with that particular course.
- Individual Student Profile - A new "Student View" mode enables teachers to quickly get a birds-eye view of each student's progress toward standards mastery and then work with the student to help them toward success. All assignments linked to standards are listed, along with the scores entered for each standard. Summative scores are automatically visible to parents and students in real-time from the PowerSchool web portal. At the end of a marking period, standards grades are automatically inserted onto standards-based report cards.
- Monitoring Intervention Groups - New group views provide the teacher with holistic feedback on how a group of students is trending for each standard. While not intended to replace individual assessment, this view helps teachers measure efficacy for targeted group-level instruction.
- Standards Report - The new Standards Report provides teachers a variety of ways to slice and dice standards data and student progress and achievement from their PowerTeacher gradebook.
Pearson customers are already leveraging PowerTeacher 2.0 to help realize the benefits of true standards-based grading and reporting.
"For the last year and a half, we have been working to develop a true standards-based report card for grades K-6. This year was the turning point because of PowerTeacher 2.0," said Greg Boettger, District PowerSchool Administrator for Westside Community Schools in Omaha, NE. "PowerTeacher 2.0 exactly matches where our district is heading with standards-based grading. I honestly feel that without this new online gradebook, we could not have developed true standards-based grading for our elementary teachers and students. Thanks to Pearson for once again overachieving with this release!"
Pearson (NYSE:PSO), the global leader in education services, education technology and school solutions, provides innovative print and digital education materials for preK through college, student information systems and learning management systems, teacher professional development, career certification programs, and testing and assessment products that set the standard for the industry. Pearson's other primary businesses include the Financial Times Group and the Penguin Group. For more information, go to http://www.pearsoned.com.