Environmental Advocates, Industry, State, Local Governments to Highlight Cost-Effective Investments in Nationwide Clean Diesel Program on May 14

Share Article

On May 14 in Washington, DC, industry, environmental organizations and public health and air quality agencies will come together to provide specific examples of how communities around the country are benefitting today from this program and articulate the program’s future importance to achieving our national air quality, public health and clean transportation goals.

In 2005, Congress passed the Diesel Emissions Reduction Act, creating a national retrofit program for diesel vehicles and equipment. Thanks to this program, thousands of tons of particulate matter and nitrogen oxides have been avoided and millions of additional dollars have been leveraged to promote these extremely cost effective air quality projects. Benefits from the program are $13 for every $1 invested. EPA distributes 70 percent of the funds through nationally competitive grant programs, with the remaining 30 percent dedicated for the states.

Under current law, the Diesel Emissions Reduction Program expires after FY2011.

On May 14, industry, environmental organizations and public health and air quality agencies will come together to provide specific examples of how communities around the country are benefitting today from this program and articulate the program’s future importance to achieving our national air quality, public health and clean transportation goals.

When: Friday, May 14, 2010    

Where: House - 10:00am-11:30am – 2103 Rayburn House Office Building
Senate – 2:00pm-3:30pm - Environment and Public Works Hearing Room, SD-406, Dirksen Senate Office Building

RSVP: dtf(at)dieselforum(dot)org (Refreshments available.)

Program will feature remarks by the American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest, Clean Air Task Force, Natural Resources Defense Council and other coalition partners. Projects in New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Indiana, and Wisconsin will be highlighted.

Coalition Partners include: American Association of Port Authorities, American Lung Association, Associated General Contractors, American Trucking Associations, BASF Catalysts LLC, California Cotton Ginner and Growers Associations, California Trucking Association, Caterpillar Inc., Clean Air Task Force, Corning Incorporated, Cummins Inc., Diesel Technology Forum, Earthjustice, Environmental Defense Fund, Emissions Control Technology Association, National School Transportation Association, National Association of Clean Air Agencies (NACAA), Natural Resources Defense Council, Navistar, NGK Automotive Ceramics, Umicore, and the Union of Concerned Scientists.

Organized by the Diesel Technology Forum - http://www.dieselforum.org

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Kristen Gifford
Visit website