San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) June 2, 2010
OPSWAT, Inc., the leading provider of endpoint security integration technologies to software developers and vendors, recently reached a major milestone as its AppRemover uninstallation utility--the premier stand-alone application for uninstalling antivirus and antispyware applications—has now exceeded 500,000 downloads.
AppRemover for home use, which received four-and-a-half stars from the editors of CNET, presents the user with an easy-to-use interface, thus making the sometimes tricky act of removing security applications simple. The automated analysis and removal process eliminates the need to go sorting through complicated registry entries.
“Security applications like antivirus and antispyware integrate themselves deeply within a user’s operating system,” said Steven Ginn, Director of Engineering at OPSWAT. “AppRemover solves an important problem and its success is directly linked with the difficulties that security companies have with uninstalling even their own applications.”
The latest release, version 184.108.40.206 has enhanced a number of features. Including:
- Improved heuristic detection on non-English operating systems
- Improved product name detection in the “clean up failed install” option
- Improved core library stability
In addition, removal/uninstall support for several important products has been improved. These include:
- Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010
- Symantec Norton 360
- F-Secure Internet Security 2010
For the most complete list of feature enhancements and product updates, please refer to the AppRemover blog at the application’s homepage: http://www.appremover.com/news
In addition to the free utility, the commercially-licensable AppRemover SDK has now seen successful deployments to a number of organizations including Continental Airlines, the University of Dayton and Catawba College. The product has also been licensed by antivirus vendor AVG Technologies to distribute as an important support tool.
AppRemover is a software utility and SDK that enables the complete, silent uninstallation of security applications (from vendors like Symantec, McAfee and dozens of others) from any computer. This lightweight utility is a community-based tool that has been developed by OPSWAT Labs and shaped based on the feedback that OPSWAT receives from users. It offers myriad benefits to developers.
AppRemover has 3 available interfaces:
- A free, non-commercial application available at http://www.appremover.com/
- A commercially brandable, feature-rich GUI similar to OPSWAT's free version
- A software development kit (SDK) that is aimed at helping IT managers and software engineers develop their own solutions. The SDK can be purchased as a command line interface (CLI), C++ or COM application programming interfaces (API)
When Should AppRemover be Used?
- When replacing one security application with another
- When a previous uninstallation has failed
- When you have forgotten or cannot access the application password
More information, including a brochure, is available at the SDK's homepage: http://www.opswat.com/products/appremovertm
Founded in 2002, OPSWAT provides software engineers and IT pros with development tools and data services to power manageability and security solutions. OPSWAT, Inc. created OESIS OK, an industry-wide certification program that verifies the interoperability of endpoint security applications with products from market-leading technology vendors. The free Am I OESIS OK? utility hosted at http://www.oesisok.com/ enables end users to assess the interoperability and quality level of their applications.