We recently surveyed Queensland drivers and found 30 per cent didn't know the correct rules for merging
(PRWEB) June 2, 2010
NRMA Car Insurance is urging south-east Queensland drivers to take extra care on our busiest roads after claims research revealed merging collisions had risen by 10 per cent over the past three years.
According to NRMA Insurance claims, the stretches of road with the most merging incidents in south-east Queensland were:
- Pacific Motorway (M1)
- Sandgate Road
- Gold Coast Highway
- Gympie Rd
- Anzac Ave (North Lakes area)
NRMA Car Insurance spokesperson Frank Adler said many drivers may need to freshen up on their road rules and take more care when merging.
'We recently surveyed Queensland drivers and found 30 per cent didn't know the correct rules for merging,' he said
'The rules for merging are straightforward. When two lines of traffic become one and there are no marked lines, a driver must give way to any vehicle that's ahead of them. And if you're moving from one marked lane into another, you must always give way to the lane of traffic you're moving into.'
NRMA Car Insurance offers the following tips to drivers:
- merge at a similar speed to the traffic you are merging with – this will make merging easier and help with traffic flow;
- don't change lanes abruptly as it can panic other drivers – move smoothly into lanes;
- maintain a safe distance from the car in front of you to avoid clipping the car when merging;
- always use your indicators when merging or changing lanes so other drivers are aware of where you are going.
Data on merging incidents based on NRMA Insurance motor comprehensive claims data for 2007 to 2009 (inclusive). Findings regarding drivers' knowledge of merging rules are based on a survey of more than 2500 Australian households nationally by Pure Profile Research for NRMA Insurance, February 2010. Merging rules reference: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au
NRMA Insurance QLD is a leading insurance provider, offering Home Insurance, Car Insurance, Motorcycle Insurance, Travel Insurance, Business Insurance, Boat Insurance, Health Insurance and Caravan Insurance in Queensland.
# # #