As with past years, selecting finalists from the extraordinary people that are nominated was tough
(PRWEB) June 5, 2010
i98FM and ahm Health Insurance are pleased to announce the finalists for the 2010 i98FM / ahm Local Hero Awards.
In a joint effort to recognise Illawarra residents and their outstanding contribution to the community, i98FM and ahm are paying tribute to local people helping and inspiring others.
With 26 finalists across six categories, the nominees for the third annual i98FM / ahm Local Hero Awards are:
Local Hero Of The Year
1. Allan Carroll – Rugby League / Touch Football
2. Shaun O'Toole – Golf Coach
3. Dr. Margaret Gardiner – National Breast Cancer Foundation
4. Lance Tarrant – Surf Life Saving
Teacher Of The Year
1. Louise Hammonds – Towradgi Public School
2. Garry Cajar – St Joseph's Catholic High School
3. Wendy Carter – St Paul's Albion Park
4. Chris Nichols – Unanderra Public School
Volunteer Of The Year (People & Community)
1. Elizabeth Brusic – Rui's Place
2. Carol Gribble – Warrigal Care / Mount Warrigal Retirement Village
3. Ian Picton – Disabled Surfers Association
4. Wynne Gibson – Re Point Artist Association Incorporated
5. Marion Maclean – Bandage Bear and Camp Quality
Volunteer Of The Year (Sport & Recreation)
1. Shane Dowel – Warilla Barrack Point Surf Life Saving
2. Arnaldo Mieli – Forte Boxing
3. Mark Cassel – Tullimbar Titans Junior Rugby League
4. Connie Dallas – Jamberoo Superoos
5. Craig Pusser – Albion Park Crows Junior AFL & Illawarra Junior AFL
Junior Sports Star Of The Year
1. Jack Doyle - Gymnastics
2. Shaun Langmaid - Karate
3. Sasha Roberston – Taekwon-do
4. Madelyn Bennett – Gymnastics / Acrobatics
5. Emily Rosskelly – Swimming and Surf Life Saving
Senior Sports Star Of The Year
1. John O'Connell – Triathlon / Duathlon
2. Marie Kay - Athletics
3. Terry Deegan – Touch Football
WIN Radio General Manager and Local Hero judge - Ryan Gracie, said that it was not easy choosing the finalists:
'As with past years, selecting finalists from the extraordinary people that are nominated was tough. I along with the other judges are satisfied that we have isolated those that contribute most to the local community for special recognition.'
'It's a truly humbling experience to see the amount of amazing people that reside in the Illawarra'.
ahm Health Insurance brand ambassador and member for more than 20 years, Steve Waugh, will personally congratulate nominees as one of the judges and guest presenter at the awards ceremony on Friday, June 18th at the City Beach Function Centre in Wollongong.
Joining Steve Waugh on the judging panel is i98FM's popular breakfast team Marty and Bianca, WIN Television Personality Susie Elelman, and Illawarra Business Chamber President, Les Dion.
The i98FM / ahm Local Hero Awards – Recognising exceptional contributions to the Illawarra Community
ahm is the eighth largest Australian health insurance provider and has been caring for the health of Australians for more than thirty five years. In addition to the provision of health insurance, ahm has developed and delivers innovative health management programs. We employ health professionals covering key disciplines including nursing, exercise physiology, dietitians and fitness to deliver these programs.
Based in the Illawarra region on the south coast of New South Wales, i98FM is the region's favourite music station with an impressive 21.1% share of the all people 10+ audience. i98FM's dedicated team drives this successful station from core competences of announcing, commercial production and promotions through to event management and new media integration. i98FM is equipped with modern broadcasting facilities and multi media promotional resources such as the Street Fleet team, Web / SMS capabilities and a live broadcast unit. i98FM is the Illawarra region's number one radio station.
# # #