Frisco, TX (PRWEB) June 7, 2010
Aastra, a leading global enterprise communications provider, has launched an XML development contest challenging programmers worldwide to create innovative XML applications for Aastra SIP terminals. A jury composed of IP telephony experts will evaluate and award prizes to the best applications.
This international contest is open to all developers, and will run until October 30, 2010. This is an opportunity for developers to leverage their creativity, and design new XML applications for Aastra SIP desk phones enriching the user’s experience, in 5 categories:
- Social Networking & Web 2.0 applications: facilitate communication and access to social media (e.g. Twitter, Flickr, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Business Applications: offer added value to the user, interact with company databases or information systems
- Telephony related applications: develop advanced functionalities which may not yet be integrated into SIP terminals
- Lifestyle applications: including building management system integration
- Student Entry: applications can be of any type but must be submitted by a student enrolled in a higher education institute. (Note: the Student Entry portion of the contest will run until November 30, 2010.)
In order to participate, developers must agree to make the application available to the user community under the FreeBSD license.
“ Openness is at the core of Aastra’s DNA. Open standards are embedded throughout our collaborative applications and broad range of SIP terminals. This philosophy of openness has led us to organize the ‘XML 4 SIP’ contest. This will boost competitiveness around Aastra solutions within the developers’ community, and users of SIP compatible call managers”, explains Tim Whittington, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Aastra USA .
A jury composed of telephony experts will evaluate and rate the different XML applications and present awards to the best in each category. After the contest, the applications will then be available free-of-charge on Aastra’s website for one year following the contest.
In order to participate, developers may visit http://www.aastrausa.com/xml-contest and register. Information on XML and Aastra SIP phones, including links to example applications and the link to download the Aastra XML developer’s kit can be found at http://intecom.aastraintecom.com/xml-contest/competitors2_en.php .
Aastra offers a complete range of SIP end points, including Aastra’s 6700i SIP desk phone series. These are designed to integrate and deploy easily with Aastra’s own IP systems as well as all leading SIP compatible IP call managers, making them appealing to a wide range of SMB and enterprise customers.